• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mr Truchet's 1600 cabrio

PatAllen

Here is the car i was talking about the other week...pretty rought, but its all there.

Engine rattles like hell, clutch slips maad, doors dont cloose, lights dont work,...still have its french plates...even the dealer keychain !!

post-119-13667631139651_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667631142155_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667631144631_thumb.jpg

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

within 1 hour, i adjusted the valves, points, timing, carb and fixed some electrical gremlins, all caused by bad grounds.

the car is already much much better.

to do: change the front struts, change a leaky water pump, check timing chain tentioner, change alt. bushings.

next is to look at the clutch. It has the mechanical linkage...which means it has the old style clutch which is more expensive iirc...will need to figure out what to do with that as it realy needs to be changed.

...the engine is not its original one, but still it is a 1600 1973. The car is 1970.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

some more... this is truly a french car, all stickers under the hood are in french...

You might not have noticed Pat but it also has the French rear lights - all amber. Be nice if you could keep the mechanical clutch - they have a good action and work really well when they work properly.

Great car - what's the story? The dealer's a bit East of Paris in the Marne and if the car stayed in the area it should have a plate finishing in 51. Can't tell for sure but it looks like a 60 plate which means it moved to a dept North of Paris - Oise.

Nick

some more... this is truly a french car, all stickers under the hood are in french...

You might not have noticed Pat but it also has the French rear lights - all amber. Be nice if you could keep the mechanical clutch - they have a good action and work really well when they work properly.

Great car - what's the story? The dealer's a bit East of Paris in the Marne and if the car stayed in the area it should have a plate finishing in 51. Can't tell for sure but it looks like a 60 plate which means it moved to a dept North of Paris - Oise.

Nick

Hi Nick, i was hoping that you see the thread...indeed the plaque ends with 60.

The old man bought the car from the dealer, but the car was owned by the wife of the dealership...or is it his daughter ?...

he bought it in the early 80's he said, drove the car there for a while and imported the car here in Quebec in the early 90's and run it sometimes during the summer here in North Hatley.

He dont want to restore the car, he just want to keep it as a true runner. He is aware of the rarity of the car and dont want to sell it at all.

He is still convinced that the 4 headlight is original and the engine too, despites my effort to shot hiw the VIN on the block and the '73 casting dates on the block, and the messed up wiring on the headlights.

Anyway...he is a frenchman,...ya know ;)

I will let the mechanical linkage of the clutch there, i dont plan to modify the car.

He thrown it to me to fix it and work around all mechanical aspects, i was refered to him by a friend who owns a garage, and he also saw my 02's so he is aware of what i can do.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

Hi Pat - love the fact he doesn't want a garage queen and is happy to get her running right and use as is - just the way it should be.

yeah i love that too, but he is a bit too retarded i would say, there is always a minimum you must do, especialy when it is such a rare car !!

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

Pat, thanks for the post and photos. I am not going to get a Cabriolet, but I enjoy seeing especially the photo of the trunk (boot). That is the first time I have seen the design of the structural support built in for a factory cabriolet.

Regards,

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

Pat, thanks for the post and photos. I am not going to get a Cabriolet, but I enjoy seeing especially the photo of the trunk (boot). That is the first time I have seen the design of the structural support built in for a factory cabriolet.

Regards,

Ray, what you are seeing inside the trunk is the convertible top box. The structural reinforcements are inside the rockers, underneath the seats and between the inner front fenders and the frame rails.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

• 9 months later...

i am getting the car back soon for other repairs, let me know if you want to see more of it !!

oh, and by the way it is M. Fruchet, not Truchet...my bad.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

Great looking cabrio, nice to keep it all original, the quad headlights would probably have been original, we had that option in Europe, that is why I fitted them to my 71. Keep us updated.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell