14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Found a guy to fab up rr. brace.prototype ready in two weeks

Armond

ok guys..I met with the metal fab/artist this morning about the rear brace and he has agreed to make a prototype for me..this guy has a great reputation within the Volvo crowd. I call him the Lee Voung of the volvo world. He's into making strut braces and big brake kits for the Volvo and Porsche guys, fabbing honing plates to machinists, custom fab work for the Chabot.Space and Science center to hand rails and metal furniture to the architectural community .

The idea is to produce a simple,yet functional rear brace. Bar itself would be made from tubular steel or aluminum while the mounting tower collar will be made by steel or aluminum using a water jet cutter or CNC machine. Im thinking that the latter would be cost prohibitive but we'll see. ..We're meeting again next week at his shop and he'll whip up a rear brace for me while I wait. No holes drilling to the towers for this brace..Zero..

So...I need your input guys as to where you prefer to position the battery, 1. at the center or 2. to the right side close to the tower? I kinda like the idea of having it on the right side..What do you guys think?

Couple of thoughts:

Make the Battery 'kit' optional for those who wanna keep it up front.

It'd be nice to have a threaded strut bar which attacked to the tower mounts and which could be pre-loaded.

Oh, yea... and keep it under $100 :)

Cheers!

what he said

yes. we're looking at a threaded and non threaded bar( think non threaded looks cleaner) and I did bring up the the Idea of having a battery tray as an "accessory"..I'll try to make it as cost effective as possible but you guys have to understand that this is not cheap to make especially if you want to make it look nice and distinct. now how about the battery position? center or at the right side?

Armond. Are you putting in coil-overs or something? For some reason I thought the collective wisdom was that rear braces basically did not have much stiffening impact, essentially they are pretty battery holders. Coil-overs may be another story.

well..I'm putting coilovers up front but not rears (at this time)..the intention and purpose of this rear brace is to merely provide another option to what's readily available out there. Racetep is the most common rear brace available and I get a sense that many would like a different design and would like to do away with drilling holes to the shock towers.

The TEP brace that so many people criticize is mass-produced and retails for $199. To commission a fabricator to create something built to avoid some of the shortcomings (IMHO) of the TEP design, it's not going to come cheap. When I first started to reproduce lenses, folks said the same thing. Keep them at $100. That doesn't take into account the hours of research, materials, equipment, trial & error, material waste, retooling periodically, etc. Not to mention a reasonable profit for your efforts. If this guy can produce a nice looking product that meets our general criteria for the same, or not much more than the TEP brace, then I feel it's well worth it.

I vote for the battery tray on the right.

I also agree with the consensus that a rear brace doesn't add anything structurally to an area of the car that is adequately braced well by design. If Armond's guy can come up with a modular design, hopefully it could be something that could be built as a semi-custom unit.

I made dat.. No, I am lying. Got it from Tom at 02again, it was a prototype, got a good deal on the price too. Interested Bob?, shoot me an email, I will make you a deal as it is sitting idle and none of my pos cars are worth putting this piece of jewel in.

I lke dat!!! and put it on my red car..how much? email me

I made dat.. No, I am lying. Got it from Tom at 02again, it was a prototype, got a good deal on the price too. Interested Bob?, shoot me an email, I will make you a deal as it is sitting idle and none of my pos cars are worth putting this piece of jewel in.

I lke dat!!! and put it on my red car..how much? email me

email sent