14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Shifter platform mounts

rtheriaque

Folks,

I've been searching the forums and have been getting bits and pieces, but can't seem to find a complete answer.

I have a sloppy shift platform and I have the mounts. I understand it's difficult to replace with the driveshaft in the car, so that can come out (for the 30th time...).

What, exactly, is involved in replacing the mounts? It looks like there are allen bolts which bolt to the transmission, and then hex heads that bolt to the platform. My question is... How do you get to the hex bolts that hold the mount to the platform without getting the platform out of the car?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

the drive shaft can stay put . . . . .

if you use a briGHT LIGHT TO SEE

and own the proper long extension bar,

u-joint, allen socket, ratchet to reach the

2 allen screws.

all depends on your ability, experience, patience,

work place.

pray the threads in the trans rear cover have not been stripped

from PO over-tightening or cross-threading ?

I said the shaft was coming out...

My question is... Does the entire shifter platform need to come out to replace the two mounts? I understand that the two allen screws will release the mounts (and, necessarily, the platform) from the transmission. I'd prefer to not remove the already rebuilt shifter from the car again if I don't have to.

Just finished the job. I didn't bother dropping the driveshaft. It wasn't a piece of cake, but it wasn't as bad a job as I expected.

The allen bolts go easily. The 13mm hex are trickier. If you release the allens you can manipulate the platform enough to do the job.

Coincidentally, all my efforts to stem a transmission fluid leak thus far have failed. I removed the reverse light switch for access and found that the fluid has been leaking out through the spade terminals. Looks like I'll be back under the car after talking to Blunt...

Just finished the job. I didn't bother dropping the driveshaft. It wasn't a piece of cake, but it wasn't as bad a job as I expected.

The allen bolts go easily. The 13mm hex are trickier. If you release the allens you can manipulate the platform enough to do the job.

Coincidentally, all my efforts to stem a transmission fluid leak thus far have failed. I removed the reverse light switch for access and found that the fluid has been leaking out through the spade terminals. Looks like I'll be back under the car after talking to Blunt...

Congrats on replacing the mounts. Re: The tranny leak(s)....I still have the 4-speed that leaks while sitting on my garage floor. Replace all the rear seals including the reverse light switch, output shaft seal and speedo. drive bushing and o-ring. Good luck! BTW - Redline MTL leaks out twice as fast as standard fluid.