large area of body fill?

flyingfool

so as im taking off old paint on my car, as its has some crappy stuff on there and some rusty bubles, i can across a large area of body fill on the rear quarter near the wheel well. as far as i can tell, there is no reason for it to be there. no dents or anything. just wondering if BMW by chance used fill in original production? and from sll the documentation with car (theres a lot) there wasnt an accident info.

Chances are your car was hit from behind. When it happens to a 2002, it seems like the trunk likes to crumple or fold downward. The area above the wheel well is where it seems to wrinkle-this is the case with my car (happened before I owned it) and a a friends car that was hit lightly a year or so ago. As stated above, even a high quality repair will probably have a skim coat of filler or poly primer, so unless you replace the panel, you'll have to straighten it out by beating the panel or by using some filler.

I have chosen to level out my rear quarters with filler instead of replacing the panels-they're not that bad anyway.

Hope that helps.

well, ill have to mesure it but is seema around 1/8 of an inch. mabeye 1/4. i know the front left fender was replaced, and i havnt seen any damage on the rear. not really a problem, just suprising and curious.

since im stripping the car down with a sander, you think i should leave it? i took some deep bits out of it when i found it with the wire wheel.

well, ill have to mesure it but is seema around 1/8 of an inch. mabeye 1/4. i know the front left fender was replaced, and i havnt seen any damage on the rear. not really a problem, just suprising and curious.

since im stripping the car down with a sander, you think i should leave it? i took some deep bits out of it when i found it with the wire wheel.

Since you're sanding the paint and existing filler instead of chemically stripping it, you could just get it smooth and do your bodywork on top of that.

Ideally, you could remove it all and do new bodywork on the bare metal. For what it's worth, that's what I did-start fresh. It just depends on how much time and effort you can invest.

1/8 to 1/4 inch of filler is a lot. I usually take a small magnet with me when I look at a car. If the magnet sticks (not just barely), it should be ok.

I am not a body man, but I would expect that much bondo to crack eventually. I would hate to get a nice new paint job, and having to redo part or all of it in a few years (unless you want to sell it ...).

Dieter