14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Re: Insulation Pads for Hood, Trunk Lid

• 1 month later...

do not use 3M 77 spray for the installation. The temperature resistance of 77 is about 120F it will fail sooner than later. The 3M Rubber and Vinyl 80 Spray or at an automotive parts seller 3M Super Trim Adhesive Yellow p/n 08090 has a temp resistance of well over 180F.

I used Spray 80 on my hoodliner.

P1090042.jpg

Not so shameless plug:

http://www.shop3m.com/60455036875.html

Data pages are on the left side of page, I couldn't find Spray 80 on our website below??

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Manufacturing/Industry/Product-Catalog/Bonding-Solutions/?WT.mc_id=www.3m.com/bonding

• 2 weeks later...

I found this on the Shop 3M. Should be good. 3M™ General Trim Adhesive 8088, 18.1 oz Net Wt or 3M™ Yellow Super Trim Adhesive 08090, 19 oz Net Wt

I used 77 and haven't had any issue with it falling down yet, but cannot guarantee the heat won't cause it to. Just not sure at how hot the metal underneath the insulation will get.

• 3 weeks later...
What is the benefit of the insulation?

Couple of items. The factory hood pads reduced noise. They were comprised on 3 individual square pieces of open cell foam. Still available. I didn't like them.

I created a template that covers the entire underneath of the bonnet/boot. The benefit is reduced noise, reduced heat transfer to protect paint, and my main reason, engine bay/boot dress up.