• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bmw 2002 registration questions here in California

larry_in_socal

All,

I have a '75 2002 that I bought from a friend, years ago, I mean over 14 years ago. I have the pink slip, and I think that it doesn't need a smog here in California.

I have one question, I want to get this car on the road, I'm planning on rebuilding the engine. What are the steps to getting this car legal here in California?

I need some advice on what exactly I need to do. The car has never been "non-oped" here in California. So would I need to pay some outrageous amount to get this car registered? Do I get the car running, go to the DMV and get it going, or do I need to go to the Highway Patrol to get it checked?

Let me know.

larry_in_socal

Gonna have to find out at the DMV, you will not have to smog it, though. It used to be that registration dropped out of their system after 7 years but I thought I had heard that changed. The most you will have to do is drive/trailer it down there for a vin verification and pay the fees, you might not have to do the vin verification but you will have to pay a fee of some kind. If your friend was the last registered owner than that is a short paper trail so you are good on that at least. The only way to find out the fees due is to go down there, I highly doubt they would tell you that on the phone

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

After 14 years of non-reg the DMV will want every year's registration fee plus penalty. If it were me, I would first go to AAA and see if it's even in the DMV system. Tell them you are buying a car and want to see if there is a VIN in the system. If it isn't, forget the pink slip and plates and keep it to yourself, fill out a reg343 form, Application for Title or Registration, fill it out, find a police officer from a friend, neighbor, etc, have him fill out side 2, Verification of Vehicle. He will make sure he finds a VIN that hasn't been tampered with and then sign the form. Then go back to AAA or DMV with paperwork and a check, they will issue a temporary registration. You would do the same steps if you were bringing in a car from out of state without a title. Go to www.dmv.ca.gov, lots of info and the forms are all there.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

this is what I did with great results. I called the DMV 1-800 dumber, I mean number. waited 20-30min on hold listening to elevator music, gave the guy who answered the phone the vin and license number of a car that hasnt been driven for 10 years and asked him point blank if there were back fees due before "I make the decision of buying the car".. was told that the vin nor the plates was not in their system anymore. Got on the computer to set up an appointment with the local office for inspection and registration, showed the the guy with an attitude the title and BOS.., waited for 45 min to get the car inspected (this is with an appointment) paid less than 200 in registration and inspection fees. I left with new plates and tags..this was less than 6 months ago..HTH and good luck

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti