rey949

Battery trunk relocation options

109 posts / 21958 viewsLast Reply

2 hours ago, xr4tic said:

I just got my AG battery, 3 lbs. I already had removed the original tray because I was going to mount in the trunk, but that doesn't make sense with a 3 lb battery, the long cables would weigh more than that.
I'll mount it close to the stock location
f00ce006d07af6be22b4c3d8ec82241e.jpg
f764590ce2a63d10415333f72c983cea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

How's that thing crank? I thought people used two of those daisy chained together. 480 CCA seems pretty low. 

7 minutes ago, Mucci said:

How's that thing crank? I thought people used two of those daisy chained together. 480 CCA seems pretty low. 

Not sure yet, I'm still working on re-wiring the engine bay.

@NYNick is running this battery and seems to like it, so I pulled the trigger on it.  The PC680 referenced earlier in this thread only has 170 CCA and I think there are a few running that battery.

• Like 1

Got this mounting bracket from Braille.

image.png.3d4257b5f06debdf4dd2bcc5d5dcd3a7.png

5 hours ago, xr4tic said:

I just got my AG battery, 3 lbs. I already had removed the original tray because I was going to mount in the trunk, but that doesn't make sense with a 3 lb battery, the long cables would weigh more than that.

Figured I would weigh the difference since I'm mid project and have a postage scale...

Here's the weight of the E36 positive battery cable to trunk, negative cable, junction block, and "junction to starter cable" (in this case it's the stock 02 positive cable.)

20A8EEBC-EFCD-41AD-A6C1-DC42385BE775.thumb.jpeg.7dbefd924093e34adc36c139392fc750.jpeg

5lbs 2oz. 

With the stock 02 positive cable removed

00EFB06A-282F-4AB6-9A1E-455E19A56342.thumb.jpeg.f7a22d520cdce9674e0cc8cf10eb4606.jpeg

4lbs 10oz. 

So the stock + cable is about 8oz. I'd say the stock ground strap is about the same length but braided and likely lighter. Let's say it's 6oz. 

So the added cable weight to relocate a battery to the trunk is an additional 4lbs 4oz (+/- 2oz.)

This is of course pretty rough but yes you are correct that running the 3lbs battery up front instead of in the trunk saves you about 4lbs in addition to the 30 or so you are saving over lead acid.