• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery trunk relocation options

rey949

17 minutes ago, MrAdams said:

My buddy is trying to get me on this one. I guess all the Honda S2000 guys use it. 

I might get one a tiny bit bigger 

https://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc680mjt-battery.html

PC680_MJT_fullsize_540x540.jpg

Yup, lotta people use those too. Cheaper and at 18 lbs its half a normal battery. I figured what the hell, I'd give Lithium Ion a try. 

Why do you need bigger than 680CCA?

Edited by NYNick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

5 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Yup, lotta people use those too. Cheaper and at 18 lbs its half a normal battery. I figured what the hell, I'd give Lithium Ion a try. 

It's only 170 CCA

I'm not sure what the 680 stands for, its PCA rated at 520

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

2 hours ago, uai said:

I went for under the rear seat - took a lot of shrinking to make the floor bend evenly down. It looks a bit horrible with primer and phosphate but will be nice once clean and painted.

If I went for the trunk I would have made it Schnitzer style as I have a period 100 liter alloy tank where most put their Batteries.

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

1.jpg

Here's my Lithium install.

20181208_135419.jpg

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

i don't like the rear shock tower brace/battery locater solution either so i welded up my own.
not very elegant but it works
imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fi16.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb36%2Fgwb72tii%2FDSC_0036.jpg&key=5effd1358cf24f604c09a723d3ce09973c0d1514ae5e1cf85011fda267549570

Electric fuel pumps should always be mounted outside the cabin just in case they rupture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

19 hours ago, MrAdams said:

Very Clean result - I like it. 

What battery are you guys using those of you that are putting small battery under the rear seat?

Any 14-16lb AGM works fine.  Despite the different name brands, most of them are made by the same manufacturer and rebranded.

LiPO batteries work too, but you must use a maintain designed specifically for lithium batteries.

2xM3

5 minutes ago, mlytle said:

Any 14-16lb AGM works fine.  Despite the different name brands, most of them are made by the same manufacturer and rebranded.

LiPO batteries work too, but you must use a maintain designed specifically for lithium batteries.

Right. Got one for $29. Does both.

BTW I was using your esty install FAQ article today. Nothing is easy, especially when the carpet isn't 'warm', but your article and especially the pics are really helpful!

Thanks!!!

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

4 hours ago, NYNick said:

I don't know what I need to be honest. I thought 500 was about what we needed. but that battery threw me off with the ratings which is why I am still looking around. 

I'm looking to Run an Electric Fan, Stereo, & 1 Amp for small subwoofer that's all. 

3 hours ago, xr4tic said:

It's only 170 CCA

I'm not sure what the 680 stands for, its PCA rated at 520

This was where I was lost. 

27 minutes ago, mlytle said:

Thank you! I figured the 2.5 pounders wouldn't cut it. 

4 hours ago, NYNick said:

Geez, my Lithium was $233 for 480CCA.

Keep us updated on how it fares through a NY winter.

I was originally going to move my battery to the trunk, I've already removed the stock battery tray, but since the Lithium battery is so small and lightweight, I may go that route and just mount it in the original spot to the fender.  Keep it simple and no added weight/complexity with running cables to the back.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

15 minutes ago, MrAdams said:

I don't know what I need to be honest. I thought 500 was about what we needed. but that battery threw me off with the ratings which is why I am still looking around. 

I'm looking to Run an Electric Fan, Stereo, & 1 Amp for small subwoofer that's all. 

This was where I was lost. 

Thank you! I figured the 2.5 pounders wouldn't cut it. 

15 minutes ago, MrAdams said:

Start with what's recommended for your car. 660CCA is for my tii. 500 should be fine for you in California.

The Lithium, despite its light weight, delivers 480CCA. Weight has nothing to do with power these days.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

6 minutes ago, xr4tic said:

Keep us updated on how it fares through a NY winter.

I was originally going to move my battery to the trunk, I've already removed the stock battery tray, but since the Lithium battery is so small and lightweight, I may go that route and just mount it in the original spot to the fender.  Keep it simple and no added weight/complexity with running cables to the back.

Will do. Doubtful I'll be driving the tii in the winter, which is why I can afford lower CCA's.

Your idea of leaving it in the engine bay is a good one because it's so light. I had to buy 0 gauge wire and run it to the back seat. More weight! Argh

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

32 minutes ago, MrAdams said:

The Crank Amps is just that, amps available for cranking the engine.

Everything else will run off your alternator once the engine is running, so you'll need to size an alternator that will run all your electrical needs + charge the battery.

If the engine isn't running, then you look at the reserve capacity, which is 24 minutes @ a 25 amp load (per Odyssey's website for the PC680) before the battery is considered drained.  I have no idea how much actual run time you will have and still be able to crank the engine, but I suspect it's considerably less than 24 minutes.

Edited by xr4tic

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

5 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Will do. Doubtful I'll be driving the tii in the winter, which is why I can afford lower CCA's.

Your idea of leaving it in the engine bay is a good one because it's so light. I had to buy 0 gauge wire and run it to the back seat. More weight! Argh

My car won't see cold weather either, I'm more concerned with it sitting for 4-5 months unused.  I've killed a few normal batteries in my E39 M5, but I have a bad habit of not putting a maintainer on it until after it gets really cold.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

There are some nice waterjet  battery relocation kits available. Rennline makes a nice one for an Odyssey PC925, but I found this one at 1/3 the Rennline price from Battery Pete in Florida. Sill working the details.

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?