rey949

Battery trunk relocation options

109 posts / 22318 viewsLast Reply

Nice. I was talking about the one prior to my comment however that acts as a strut bar as well

what about racing? if you do a relocation, doesnt the battery have to be in an aluminum box with a shut off? not sure if that applies to track days as well, or just the timed events.

Battery on driver side would make for a better weight distribution since the fuel tank is on the passenger side and routing all wiring away fron the tank just to be safer...

camper/caravan van battery box with some steel angled corner bits bolted through the floor and strap for the lid to stop it moving anywhere. Then used E30 battery cable routed along original fuel line route out through the bulkhead behind heater box to battery junction thing mounted on bulkhead. The earth was with 2 straps 20cm long in the boot.

Best thing for me i can undo and remove the big Bosch battery slide it out with minimal effort single handed and if battery ever leaks its pretty well sealed. You can get similar battery boxs with aux ciggy connectors amp and volt gauges on the lid.

For under seat location strongly advise using gel type battery for safety.

IMG_1564.jpg

Reviving an old thread ( search tool!) . I see there are mixed feelings on the rear strut / shock tower bar. 

Does anyone make the bar / relocate with the non-drill version? I would be interested in not drilling my towers but I like the bar just because it looks cleaner than a battery just sitting there on its own. 

Koogleworks has been toying with one, it’s a bloody lovely piece of kit, I think he just needs to make it commercially viable for him.

check out his site, very cool gear!

This is my interpretation of battery relocation and engine compartment location of isolation switch which also provides access for jump starting.

BMW TRUNK 003.JPG

TRUNK with sealed battery case.JPG

Very Clean result - I like it. 

What battery are you guys using those of you that are putting small battery under the rear seat?

12 hours ago, MrAdams said:

Very Clean result - I like it. 

What battery are you guys using those of you that are putting small battery under the rear seat?

AntiGravity 480CCA, 2.8 lbs.

40 minutes ago, NYNick said:

AntiGravity 480CCA, 2.8 lbs.

How long have you had it?  I've read a lot of bad reviews about Li-Ion longevity in cars.

Not even a month. Plenty of fanboys in the Porsche world. A friend of mine has one in his 71S and claims it's the best battery he's ever owned.

I went for under the rear seat - took a lot of shrinking to make the floor bend evenly down. It looks a bit horrible with primer and phosphate but will be nice once clean and painted.

If I went for the trunk I would have made it Schnitzer style as I have a period 100 liter alloy tank where most put their Batteries.

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

1.jpg