rey949

Battery trunk relocation options

109 posts / 22292 viewsLast Reply

Dumb question time: How do you jump start the car with the battery under the rear seat? And isn't it a PITA to have to take the battery out to replace it/charge it on a charger?

You can buy terminal blocks at West Marine and other marine hardware stores. They are used on boats all the time.

Edit: added link.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=163191&langId=-1

Hey folks,

Check out the photo in this link. I will get with a fabricator to make one just like this. It could go under the rear seat or even in the trunnk. Simple and looks clean.

Let me know your thoughts...

Picture 16

When its done, I will post a picture of mine and where I placed it.

I have one other idea I am exploring....I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for all of your help on this one!

I agree I didn't like the center location either so i got this through a shop in Portland. This is similar to the center location, but i like this better because it allows a tool case to fit behind the left side and its a good weight distribution when i'm in the car :)DSC_0099.jpg

Battery tray from Pep Boys and Serious Cable from your local welding supply shop. No brace - they're pretty useless and take up a lot of space -I placed mine on the left side which leaves plenty of room for the big box 'o tools and spare parts. E30 terminal block is nice, but unnecessary. Also rear seatbelt boss makes a handy and solid ground.

May have this style ready this winter. Finally found a machine shop to make multiples. Will keep everyone updated.

I know of at least 2 fabricators considering their own approach to this. One of the criteria that's a non-negotiable is the no-drill feature for securing to the shock towers. It should be interesting to see what comes of this.

May have this style ready this winter. Finally found a machine shop to make multiples. Will keep everyone updated.

I know of at least 2 fabricators considering their own approach to this. One of the criteria that's a non-negotiable is the no-drill feature for securing to the shock towers. It should be interesting to see what comes of this.

Mike shack in MI has a really good one too. No drilling included. But he's too busy kissing hands and shaking babies..

I saw your brace/battery tray at the V@V, and it is a thing of beauty, quality machining and design. I think a lot of 2002 folks would be interested.