14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

'76 02 PULLING ENGINE WITH A/C ON IT!!!!?????

primolee

Hi, I am pulling the engine out of my '76 and I am having a problem removing it with the A/C compressor still attached, the compressor is hitting the front of the engine bay and the trans and distributor is contacting the rear area. Is there a trick to it? I made an engine removal bar that duplicates the "600" engine removal tool that the factory manual tells you to use, it does help with the angles you should need but I am still having a problem with the A/C unit. The engine is hanging on a chain in the bay which will make it difficult to get to the A/C brackets but if I have to I will remove it as is. Anybody have the same problem? any info will help. Thanks, Bill

compressor & bracket from the engine and hang it up out of the way--if you unscrew the clips that hold the hoses to the inner fender well, that'll give you some slack. Then pull the engine. this way you won't have to open the A/C system up, allow moisture in and lose Freon. With Freon so expensive, you don't want to lose any.

If the A/C is inop, still unbolt the A/C and as CD says, if you don't care about having it, lose the system.

cheers

mike