DIY Soda Blaster on the cheap side

josh72ooh2

i tried that...it didn't work worth a crap...it was very frustrating trying to get the soda to flow consistently thru the tube ...i suppose if you filter the soda to break it up into powder, it would work slightly better

i found a small harbor freight tank on ebay recently for approx. $40.00...it works very well

Guest Anonymous

Bought the harbor freight hand-held blaster. Tried several times to get it working properly. At the end determined...1) needs higher pressure (150psi) despite recommendations to contrary for decent results in removing paint and/or brake dirt from alloy wheels. That is with household baking soda. A larger chamber would be nice since a full charge only lasts a couple of minutes at higher pressure and flow rates. Additionally, I was told that there is a 'coarse' baking soda that you can get at a store that sells blasting media.....it cuts better than the extremely fine powder of the household soda. A future project is to try coarse soda, 150psi, higher flow rate, and try to clean aluminum such as alloy wheels and valve cover, carburettor bodies, etc. Do it outside. Use compressed air and air nozzle to clean up.....the spent soda hides in plants, grass, and sidewalk expansion areas.....but the next day, its gone. have fun.

ok, I'm not an expert.

This would work...but much better if you used the course soda from a blasting store. Soda blasting doesn't work like sand or other media blasting. It doesn't depend on the media itself actually being "sharp" but rather on a cuncussive force of the crystals exploding as they hit the surface...that is why soda media looks so different from thr regular baking soda...ie more coarse.

ymmv

Dave