Question about removing the stock steering wheel...

BMW0299

After removing the outer rubber layer from the four-spoke wheel, the plastic cover under it has a hole with access to the nut, but the 22 mm socket won't fit in it. Do I have to somehow remove the plastic cover and how? Or what? Thanks. -Raine

Depending on which year '02 you have, there are different ways to get the cover off of the steering wheel. Check your service manual for more information. Using a 22mm deep socket (a 7/8-inch socket also will work), remove the nut holding the steering wheel onto the steering column.

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like you answered your own question. What year is the car. It makes a difference. The later years with the rectangular padded insert and BMW logo are not that difficult. Pull towards driver with both hands from both sides of padded insert. Its press on and should come off with gentle persuatsion from both hands. Then there is horn wiring, and a center nut. Your PO may have changed the nut but I think 22mm or 7/8" (spark plug wrench) should work. If not, try larger or smaller. It is a hex nut isn't it?! Then being careful to mark the splines (SW is centered on splined rod---replace exactly the same place or yer lopsided! --- difficult to recenter.) Once nut is off, splined coupling marked, pull off slowly...don't break turn signal cancel sensor, note position of TS cancellation cam, and spacer underneath. Reassembly exactly(!) the same otherwise you can be jammed on for life (or until you get a SW puller.) Don't ask how I know. Remember to put the spacer in the correct place upon reassembly and the SW on the correct spline and it won't be difficult! Good Luck

Guest Anonymous

If you separated the foam cover with the 'leatherette' embossing on it from the plastic support I think they remain together and remove as one unit. You remove the plastic support and the nut is there ready to accept the proper socket. You don't have to put the socket through the plastic hole.....remove the plastic.

Guest Anonymous

If you separated the foam cover with the 'leatherette' embossing on it from the plastic support I think they remain together and remove as one unit. You remove the plastic support and the nut is there ready to accept the proper socket. You don't have to put the socket through the plastic hole.....remove the plastic.