14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Mag Wheel Straightening

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all! I have a quick question regarding wheel repair. I recently bent a classic mag ATS wheel on my 2002 and wanted to see if anyone knew of a good shop locally that could straighten it and repair the damage? I live in Irvine, so OC would be best.

Thanks!

O=()()=O

what wheel, exactly? You may find it easier, and less expensive, to find another wheel and have it refinished, especially if it's bent in the middle.

Did you spin it, without a tire on it, and look to see if it's bent toward the center or not? I was quoted $200+ by a place in the Boston area, to get one straightened due to the extent of the bend.

Scott

There is also another shop right around the corner from Mag Masters I used.

Terry's Wheels 1830 s. santa fe, 92705 he charged me 120$ to take bend out of rim

Not that I am recommending this to you, but I have had good luck straightening them with my plumbers torch and a wooden mallet. I use the big tip that is designed to melt lead for lead and oakum joints. Heat slow and evenly. I play with them and check on the wheel balancer till I get them right. Either it's dumb luck or I'm doing something right. Don't know if I'm messing with the temper of the metal or not. Curious to see what the pros do.