• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALPINA 350mm Steering Wheel Auction

markmac

...ALL ALPINA steering wheels sold by ALPINA had their logo engraved on them.

thanks for clarifying, Mark. I wondered how to be certain it's authentic. what's the goin' rate, $300+ ?

“My fan mail is enormous. Everyone is under six.” —Alexander Calder

Ben — ('74 rebuild in primer)

I don't think that's an Alpina wheel. It looks like they painted the spokes of a BMW Sports wheel and used a Alpina horn button. Notice the hub, rings and how the allen screws are positioned, ala BMW Sports wheel.

I have a few of these Alpina wheels laying around if I can ever find them.

19725347.jpg

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

I'm in agreement with RayC911 - the wheel looks a lot like a Petri-made BMW Sport Steering wheel with an Alpina "center" cap.

SOT - Didn't Alpina also offer four spoke steering wheels?

I don't think that's an Alpina wheel. It looks like they painted the spokes of a BMW Sports wheel and used a Alpina horn button. Notice the hub, rings and how the allen screws are positioned, ala BMW Sports wheel.

I have a few of these Alpina wheels laying around if I can ever find them.

19725347.jpg

Andy W.

'72 Tii & '74 Tii

'88 M3 & '91 318is

I am going to go out on a limb and say that it is a new MOMO prototipo that some one did the "favor" of "applying" the ALPINA logo to (posts above). The following two links show what it should look like (spokes and engraved "ALPINA")..... as far as cost goes, hard to say......if it is the real deal it could be as much as $5-600 (or more) unfortunately......watch and see.

http://historicracingbmw.blogspot.com/2010/03/alpina-3-spoke-steering-wheel-2002-30.html

http://historicracingbmw.blogspot.com/search/label/Hardy%2FBeck

You are right, I should have looked more carefully, is a Petri sport wheel painted black, the ALPINA steering wheels are likke one piece where the Petri's have sort of a "Bezel" then the spokes come out from behind. Also, the ALPINA wheels have stitched leather, if I am not mistaken the Petri's are molded rubber......as they say, let the buyer beware. Still could be a good deal for someone.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that it is a new MOMO prototipo that some one did the "favor" of "applying" the ALPINA logo to (posts above). The following two links show what it should look like (spokes and engraved "ALPINA")..... as far as cost goes, hard to say......if it is the real deal it could be as much as $5-600 (or more) unfortunately......watch and see.

http://historicracingbmw.blogspot.com/2010/03/alpina-3-spoke-steering-wheel-2002-30.html

Marc,

The wheels I have are definitely engraved "ALPINA:. It was purchased from Cahsels a while back. I also have one of the 4 spoke steering wheel new in the box. Now I'm really gonna dig them out.....

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

You are right, I should have looked more carefully, is a Petri sport wheel painted black, the ALPINA steering wheels are likke one piece where the Petri's have sort of a "Bezel" then the spokes come out from behind. Also, the ALPINA wheels have stitched leather, if I am not mistaken the Petri's are molded rubber......as they say, let the buyer beware. Still could be a good deal for someone.

After years of obsessing with everything Alpina and going through over and over every interior detail, this is what I've gotten so far, my own little photo archive.

Here it goes:

-All Alpina steering wheels were leather covered and stitched (except for the weird wooden ones shown in the end).

-Original Alpina steering wheels for the 2002 where in the early years, flat

centered Momo Prototipo wheels (the Prototipo sold now has a dished center).

-In the beginning they only came with the brushed aluminum center and spokes finish, but later on

after a change in safety regulations (that actually stated that no shiny metals should be

placed in front of the driver, I suppose because lighting flares and reflection could be distracting)

which eventually caused the flat black center version of the Prototipo to appear.

Early ones:

bsgko7wegkkgrhqehd8eve9.jpg

bvzdvbbwkkgrhqeokjuevyw.jpg

The logo as previously described in the center spoke...

bsgkt0qb2kkgrhquhdeeu7i.jpg

Original Alpina Picture:

alpinacocpit0270.jpg

The new Prototipo version with the dished center:

1006812.jpg

Black Prototipo Version:

af17846004.png

1974bmw2002touringalpin.jpg

a4s2008.jpg

alpinasteeringwheel1.jpg

p5157610.jpg

Genuine 1600 Alpina

alpina18.jpg

-They both had the Alpina logo engraved in the central vertical spoke (see pictures attached) plus the Alpina horn button which also came in two variants, one with the ring around the emblem painted black and another one chromed...

1001770s.jpg

-The other Alpina steering wheel variant was the four spoke Momo but it didn't appear after a couple of years later.

(Usually associated to the post 73 re-styling of the 2002 interior)

-These wheels also had the Alpina logo engraved in them but over the years came in different variants:

-The Alpina logo changed position over the years, some appear with the logo engraved and painted in white on the upper

right spoke while others had a more sutil logo engraved next to the Momo logo in the same color as the finish (flat black) placed in the lower right spoke.

I actually own one of the latter.

Check the pics below, the really big ones are the ones from my wheel, just took them for this post :P

alpina40.jpg

alpina41.jpg

alpina42.jpg

alpina43.jpg

im002330jpg.jpg

alpina5i.jpg

-These wheels were also used in the next generation (eg: E21) Alpina vehicles as shown:

ronpalpinadashb.jpg

-This is mine, I think that with a little work it will come out looking as good as new...

(check out the how the logo differs from the one above)

10092010021.jpg

10092010022.jpg

10092010023.jpg

I'm actually trying to hunt down one of the flat spoked Prototipos (usually found on Porsches) but I had no luck so far, so if you see one, for a good price, I don't mind if it needs to be restored, or in a rough condition, give me a shout out.

As for the wheel Mark shows it is as many of you pointed out, a re-styled Petri Sport BMW wheel.

Actually, this is the second time I've seen one of those in an auction, I remember the last one (which looked exactly as this one) sold for something like 800 euros (which is crazy money).

I saved a picture of it from back then:

petrialpinawheel.jpg

Don't get me wrong it does indeed look sick but the only actual Alpina bit on it, is the horn button.

Also over time I have found some "unicorns" which I'm not really sure how authentic they actually are since I can't find

any tangible evidence that supports their existence...

The wooden ones, really throw me off... (also check the black one on the left of the first picture it has the dished center looks original and well the one of the right is dead on spec with the old Alpina pictures)

9fc5406f4d.png

alpina003jpg.jpg

Same thing happens with this dished version in this E9...

img0778c.jpg

I think I saved the most special one of them all for last, Mark isn't this your car?

I kind of looks like the interior on your Alpina...

The spokes have been machined out (extreme weight shaving??)

277981724.jpg

Hope this helps...

Cheers mates!

Ok, Let her rip!

Excellent Post! Nothing more to add to this one. The buyer really does have to beware with some of this stuff. I don't waste a lot of time posting all the fake stuff which there are a lot of attempts to sell as "Alpina", and some might say what is the big deal? Really not a big deal, but just like anything else when you have a limited supply (and the stuff hasn't been produced in over 30 years) and a faithful following of 02 fans that are will to have dollars or Euros or Yen (or whatever) separated from their bank accounts for the real deal. Same goes for original Porsche parts, Lotus, Ferrari, or whatever. I am a little embarrassed that I didn't pick up the obvious differences in that steering wheel I posted up a little more quickly - leave it to the FAQ faithful to pick it off. Lastly, yes, the last image is a period pic of my car with a super rare ALPINA 4 spoke wheel with perforated spokes. I have never (EVER) seen one of those for sale second hand oddly enough. ALPINA used quite a few parts from CSL's in the Grp. 2 car (struts, 15" wheels etc.,) including that steering wheel which they used in their B2 series CSL's. Its like a cross between the 3 spoke wheels they used in the 02's and the later 4 spoke wheels they used in the mid/late 70's and 80's. Very cool item I would like to have. My car currently has the typical late 70's ALPINA momo 4 -spoke wheel.

Yes, the 3-spoke steering wheels are with the old style Alpina logo and the old style Alpina horn. Like it was said it's flat momo prototipo.

ALSO on the 3-spoke wheels there is a MOMO logo on the backside of the steering wheel. Somewhere where the Alpina logo on the face side stays, but on the back side.

And see what i'm doing now guys. But still has a lot of things to do... It's for my tii. :)

post-215-136676308549_thumb.jpg

post-215-13667630856652_thumb.jpg

post-215-13667630858242_thumb.jpg

post-215-13667630859891_thumb.jpg

The BMW 2002 tii VIN 2719550 was manufactured on July 3rd, 1973 and delivered the same day to the BMW dealer Zeiss & Schwärzel in Mannheim. The original colour was Golf, paint code 070.

Guest Anonymous

I must disagree with you on your generalization regarding the Petri wheels.

I have had two stitched leather covered PETRI wheels. I am pretty sure they are both 300mm or roughly 12" in diameter. One was purchased new from a shop in 1979-80. I inherited the other wheel with the car in the late 80's. There was a different style hub in the glove box and the original owner said something about the wheel being originally ordered for a Pantera. Both Petris have two holes per spoke as distinguished from your three spoke Alpina example which has two holes in two spokes and three holes in the remaining spoke. Over the years I recall trying various horn buttons. Momos did not fit (too small?) but the assembly cobbled from a Fiat spider worked in a pinch as did another aftermarket offering (Grant?).

Never given it much thought, but have you considered the possibility that many of the wheels were produced by the same manufacturers with slight differences for different retailers and their markets? This happens in all areas of retailing from water pumps to cola and to stoves.