14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Brake lights question on a ' 75 square-lite. SOLVED

Napes

It appears the problem was correctly diagnosed with the help of Jeff @ LaJolla Independent. I need a new brake light switch. Old one only lasted 35 yrs/365,000 miles. The problem quickly proceeded to the situation where the brake lights were on whenever the key was on.

I discovered that while driving without the lights on my brake lights work exactly as intended. But, when I turn on the headlights, or even the parking lights, the brake lights come on. This has caused me to burn a couple small holes is the plastic rear light housing, and has burned out one bulb. It did not used to be like this, and I'm not sure how long it's been this way. Where do I start looking for the problem.

Bob Napier

Further note: When the parking lights are turned on with the ignition key off the parking lights come on as they should, but the brake lights do not. Then, if the key is turned over to the on position the brake lights do come on. Additionally, when I pull the fuse providing power to the parking lights the brake lights still come on when the light switch is pulled on to parking.

Could the problem be in the light switch?

Guest Anonymous

Start with the simplest....Near the bottom of the inside of every square tail light housing is a small block of connectors. Remove the lens first and you can see it clearly. If the stop light comes on when you energize the parking lamp circuit, then look for a short, metallic debris, or bent connector between the brake lamp feed and the parking lamp feed. The wires are thick enough that if shorted, one circuit would carry the other. Something as simple as a paperclip in the wrong place could cause this. Then look a bit down the line for touching wires with abraded insulation. Im' sure youl'll find it. GL

Guest Anonymous

same thing happened on mine....found that the switch near the master cylinder under the hood had shorted. The brake lights were on all the time and melted some plastic. First try adjusting the switch, it could be just that....if that doesn't turn the brake lights off, mabe the switch is shorted and needs replacement. I had to replace my swich and that fixed it.

02victim: Were your brake lights on even when the parking or heardlights were off? Because that's not my case - the brake lights are off when the light switch is off, though the brake lights work fine in that situation.

I will follow all your sugestions, geezer, they sound very reasonable. Gotta wait for some light tomorrow, but I'll post results for others benefit.

Thanks,

Bob Napier

Guest Anonymous

Just to tidy this a bit .... correct, mine were on whenever the key was switched in the 'on' position. I reread your post and maybe in fact a shorted brake pedal switch is not the culprit in your case. It sounds more like a short in the lamp assembly itself as suggested.