no spark--what could it be?

norma

Still can't get my 67 to start. It's cranking fine but won't catch. I replaced the coil because I was getting no spark to the plugs or from the coil. But that's not it. All the connections and wiring seems fine. So what else could it be? Points? Condenser? What else? What can I do without a meter? Any help at all would be appreciated. I'm running out of ideas.

I would also check to see if the coil to distro wire is connected properly. Also a condenser is a cheap part to replace. I always replace the points and condenser and the same time.

It sounds as if it is a simple fix, just overlooking something obvious.

All of the above suggestions and ^^ make sure the wires are connected to the coil properly (meaning not backwards).

If you're getting +12v at the points and no spark at the plugs, then the problem is in the secondary (the high voltage that goes to the plugs vs the primary circuit, the 12v) somewhere. A likely culprit is the center terminal on the dizzy cap. It's carbon, and spring loaded so that it makes contact with the brass center of the rotor. It's not uncommon for the spring to weaken, or the contact itself to seize up in its bore so that it looks good, but doesn't make contact. You should be able to push down on the center contact and watch it spring back up. If it doesn't, that's your problem. Try replacing with a known good cap.

How do I know this? It took me 2 hours to troubleshoot this problem when my '69 wouldn't start 'cause I hadn't encountered this particular failure before and didn't think to check.

Hope that's it--easy fix

mike

If you find you are getting 12V to the coil and no or weak spark, then remove coil and check continuity with a meter on both the primary and secondary windings. Check the primary between the two screw posts, and the secondary between the center post and the bottom of the coil bracket. If these look OK, then clean the bottom of the bracket and the area where it bolts to the chassis, and check both the mounting screws for corrosion (they are just sheet metal screws). It is imperative that a clean return path exists for the high voltage from the plugs, and it is from the chassis to the the body of the coil thru the bracket. . This happened to me, and it took a day to troubleshoot it. Cleaned everything up, and problem solved.

Good Luck