How difficult would this be?

ewill2002

I have a 1998 VW Jetta GLX. It is in great shape. Would that engine and drive train fit into my 1976 02? It has approx. 170 HP in the VW.

OR

Should I just buy another souped up engine from Metric Mechanic?

OR

Is this considered blasphemy and I should be shot for even suggesting that this is even a thought of mine?

I haven't done any hard research yet, but I thought I would just ask if anyone has had that experience yet.

Thanks

A few options for ya...

M20 BMW engine....

about 170 HP, and not too hard to put in...they are also pretty cheap.

Used M10 with some added mods....

About 150 HP...probably less than a new MM motor.

Whats going on with your motor? Do you have a stock one in there now? any mods? It may be more cost effective to mod/rebuild your current engine...

My current engine is great. No leaks and it just got me from Texas to California. I just hate to let my Jetta go when it is time. I won't get anything for it in trade. Just thinking ahead in an attempt to salvage something from it if I can make it fit.

No mods on my current engine. I just want a little more power.

Isn't that what we all want? Isn't it?

There was an 02 out there with a VW 1.8t swapped into it. I don't remember what tranny they used to make it RWD instead of a transverse setup. So yes, it can be done, but I'm with all the people who say not to do it. There are better swaps out there. M20, M42, S14, etc. I'd swap an SR20 before I swapped a 1.8t (I'm sure some people on this board would scream sacrilage about that :) )