Back on the boost!

Lebowski

It's been a struggle getting my 02 back on the road after breaking down on the way to V@V last May forcing me to cancel the trip. Had a new turbo manifold made, then got it swapped over to find I was having major problems with my intercooler to throttle body plumbing. Finding the time to get this all sorted out has been a major part of the challenge...

My mess of silicone couplers was causing a major leak under boost. I'm going to take the car to a local shop that fabs turbo piping for the Japanese compact scene to make a whole new intercooler to throttle body pipe and fab a dump pipe for the wastegate...

I did get the boost controller mounted on the front of the intake manifold and installed some IE urethane motor mounts from Blunt. I've turned up to 12psi and this thing shakes, snorts, and goes like stink. Amazing how much the stock motor mounts let the engine flex, which led to my intake piping failure.

It's loud and probably pretty obnoxious... and I was grinning from ear to ear.

Sorry things look so filthy, I was just happy to be back on the road!

post-14664-13667630654417_thumb.jpg

post-14664-13667630656795_thumb.jpg

post-14664-13667630659017_thumb.jpg

post-14664-1366763066142_thumb.jpg

It's loud and probably pretty obnoxious... and I was grinning from ear to ear.

Sorry things look so filthy, I was just happy to be back on the road!

Aaron - congrats on getting back on track! I can't wait to see you at another event and maybe catch a ride in your car.

I don't see any filth here - looks good despite all the plumbing.

Thanks Jim! Really missed not going to V@V... my wife had given me permission to miss our 7th wedding anniversary to go. Not sure if that offer will come around next year!

Yeah, there's a good amount of stuff crammed into the intake side... just looks kind of messy to me. We'll see. It's not like the 318i manifold is that beautiful anyway...

Skip, I'm going to try to maybe make a quick run to the Fall drive but I have a conference in San Francisco to leave for on the 8th... I'll try my best.

Love the M42 project btw! Way above my pay grade but I admire your skill in pulling it off!

S99, I'm guessing about 175hp at the crank? It made about 135hp at the wheels on the dyno with 8lbs of boost. With 12psi maybe 155hp at the wheels? Really gets difficult to know since these cars feel so much faster than they are. I plan on heading back to the dyno in a few weeks to compare numbers and see if it will hold 15# on the crappy 91 octane gas we have here without detonation.

I know that it really hauls when the boost kicks in, about 2750 rpm or so.

I want to say how much I admire those of you on the FAQ who are running turbo 02s or who have undertaken EFI projects. There are so many details to sort out to get a car that has any measure of driveablilty.

I also want to be realistic about my horsepower goals since this will primarily be a fun weekend car and not a track beast. Depending on what numbers you use for volumetric efficiency of the M10, I figure at 15psi I'll make about 200 crank horsepower.

That should be plenty of fun without undertaking major fabrication like swapping in E30 drivetrain components like those crazy Swedes! To me at least, I'd rather have reliability over absolute max HP... but to each their own!