Photos from last week's trip to the BMW museum

williamggruff

I took a few photos while I was at the BMW museum last week. As requested, I captured photos of the Ti, the 700, crazy front spoilers, and motorcycles, especially those with sidecars. I'll upload and organize the photos over the next week or so as time permits. Unfortunately, I'm headed out of town tomorrow morning and won't be able to upload again until next weekend.

Here are few photos of the 68 Colorado Ti. I haven't added captions yet, but I focused in on a few elements that I thought would be of interest to FAQers. The colorado car in the museum has many of the same issues that we experience when restoring a car: ill-fitting window gaskets, doors that aren't hung perfectly, trim that doesn't quite align along the side of the car, hints of rust showing in the rear jack support, and splattered undercoating in the wheel wells. Things that make a classic car look like a classic car.

http://s796.photobucket.com/albums/yy241/williamggruff/BMW%20Museum%20August%202010%20-%20Colorado%20Ti/

I'll post the rest of the photos as soon as I can.

Grice

THANK YOU! I really needed someone to do exactly this, you have no idea how much this will help my resto.

One quick question, the instrument panel of the car, were the gauge rings chromed or just silver? I'm trying to find out how they actually came out the assembly line... I know the clock is brushed steel looking (silver) and that is what throws me a little bit out...

Anyway, let me know mate and thanks again for this.

Cheers,

Bruce

THANK YOU! I really needed someone to do exactly this, you have no idea how much this will help my resto.

One quick question, the instrument panel of the car, were the gauge rings chromed or just silver? I'm trying to find out how they actually came out the assembly line... I know the clock is brushed steel looking (silver) and that is what throws me a little bit out...

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce,

I wish I could answer your question, but alas the curators weren't too excited about opening the doors of the cars since museum visitors tend to get their greasy hands all over the pretty cars, and opening the hoods gets folks leaning up against the fenders to look in, resulting in belt buckle scratches on the paint.

I took as many detailed photos as I could, including quite a few underside photos of some of the more exotic cars (like the 2000, the 700 and the TiSA) until my camera's battery died, then plugged my camera into a socket in the museum's café and charged it enough to get another 100 or so photos before it died again just before I was scheduled to show up for the factory tour. Next time I'll remember to bring a few spare batteries. I took over 700 photos in the museum, so I opened a Photobucket Pro account today so that I could share them.

Grice

Grice, I wonder if you could have flashed your... swanky bmwcca card and asked a curator to open the cars and take some interior pics for you. Perhaps next time.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce,

I wish I could answer your question, but alas the curators weren't too excited about opening the doors of the cars since museum visitors tend to get their greasy hands all over the pretty cars, and opening the hoods gets folks leaning up against the fenders to look in, resulting in belt buckle scratches on the paint.

I took as many detailed photos as I could, including quite a few underside photos of some of the more exotic cars (like the 2000, the 700 and the TiSA) until my camera's battery died, then plugged my camera into a socket in the museum's café and charged it enough to get another 100 or so photos before it died again just before I was scheduled to show up for the factory tour. Next time I'll remember to bring a few spare batteries. I took over 700 photos in the museum, so I opened a Photobucket Pro account today so that I could share them.

Grice

Cheers,

Bruce

Here is a great dash cluster picture of Fernando Varga's Inka ti (my favorite restoration)

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/502/2021/26253510065_large.jpg

More pics here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2625351/4