• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75 2002 Sleeper - M20B32, ITB, LSD

tinkwithanr

I love what you are doing with your 2002 and the m20 swap! Your doing it so much better then I have done it.

I have learned so much doing my swap. I know next time I build a car I am going to do things slower and in my own space. I felt rushed through my whole project because of having to use my dads garage and him having given me a month to finish everything. There are definitely things I did that I am not happy about. It has been such a huge learning proses with a big curve to it.

Next time I go through this proses, and there will be a next time, it will be more like this lol.

Good work!!!

Thanks for the kind words. For what it's worth I'm super jealous you'll be driving your soon!

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

Got a lot done over the weekend. First up was deciding on the final engine placement. In the end I decided that I would lower the engine down closer to the subframe, and move it back a half an inch. This way the firewall modifications would be minimal, and I would be able to still use the stock e30 driveshaft. So I removed the old engine and transmission mounts and positioned it where I wanted it to be, which told me what needed to be removed:

How the tunnel/firewall looked before the new cuts. Notice that even though I had enlarged the rear section for the G260, the front opening was the same size. This made removing the engine trans pretty difficult, the bottom of the transmission would hit the steering rack before it cleared the upper edge of the tunnel.

_DSC0010.JPG

So keeping that in mind I cut out enough that would let the engine and trans move in and out much easier, as well as keep the stock sheet metal around the heater box.

_DSC0012.JPG

With the tunnel and firewall clearanced it was time to make the new mounts. First up was the engine, put in place:

_DSC0013.JPG

Clearance around the Tunnel:

_DSC0021.JPG

Driver side plate mounts in place:

_DSC0024.JPG

Passenger Side plate mounts in place:

_DSC0026.JPG

To fabricate the rest of the mounts, I used cardboard to make a template, then cut them out of sheet steel and bend them to fit. Cardboard template and metal piece made from the template:

_DSC0029.JPG

The new passenger mount next to the old one.

_DSC0031.JPG

The new driver side mount next to the old one.

_DSC0033.JPG

Next was the trans mount. Individual Parts cut out:

_DSC0036.JPG

Tacked together, still needs to be fully welded and smoothed out:

_DSC0038.JPG

And the final placement of the oil pan, it has ~0.5" clearance with the subframe. Since I'll be using poly mounts that should be plenty.

_DSC0044.JPG

Overall I'm much happier with the new mounts. The old ones looked pretty crappy, and everytime I looked in the bay it bothered me a little. they still need to finish being boxed in and internally braced, but once they get powder coated they should look OEM. Sadly I didn't get to finish them because I started on another project this weekend, which I'll post up shortly.

So the next parts of the build will involve a lot of body work. I need to fix the rust spots around the trunk floor as well as strip the entire body down to bare metal. I was really not looking forward to laying on my back stripping the undercoat and cutting, grinding and welding the new metal. So I decided to spend a weekend to make my life for the next month much easier.

Two end pieces made up:

_DSC0039.JPG

Front Subframe Mounting Brackets:

_DSC0047.JPG

Rear Subframe Mounting Brackets:

_DSC0048.JPG

Do a Barrel Roll!!

_DSC0046.JPG

Im jealous of your super charger! Where can I find an "affordable" one of those? I'v been thinking of turbos and superchargers, and have decided I want my car to go eeeeeeeeeeeewww instead of sssssshhh. Can you taker any more detailed pictures of how you are mounting it?

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

Shoot me an email if your really looking for one, I have two right now. That being said I think I'm going to run NA for a while due to a pretty tight time constraint in my build schedule, so I'm not planning to fab up any brackets in the near future. There is a pretty good thread over on the e30tech subforum 'Supercharging' right now that I was just planning on copying.

Sadly I am jobless right now so I can't aford to pick one up quite yet. I'll shoot you an email ones I find my way back into the work force and see if you still have that extra charger.

Link to said super charging thread?

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

Haven't got as much done as I would have liked these past few days. Once I got the car on the rotisserie I came to the realization that the shop was a complete disaster, so I decided I should clean up and organize my large pile of parts. I did take time to look at the condition of the underbody now that it can be seen out in the clear.

The first time the underbody has seen the light of day (or light of shop I suppose) since god knows when:

_DSC0086.JPG

My rotation motivator. Low tech, high effectiveness:

_DSC0087.JPG

Trunk Under Side. This is probably the worst area considering I didn't really do much repair work previously. It needs pretty extensive repair including the floor, the inner rails, the lip around the gas tank seal as well as the inner and outer fenders.

_DSC0089.JPG

_DSC0090.JPG

_DSC0091.JPG

Driver Side Floor. Not to bad, glad to see my old repair holding up 1.5 years later. I do plan to grind the welds smooth and fully seal everything. I may cut open the frame rails to make sure there is no hidden cancer. That would give me a good excuse to reinforce them as well.

_DSC0097.JPG

Passenger Side Floor. About the same as the driver side, except the area where the old heat shield was. Pretty much the same course of action as the driver side as well.

_DSC0098.JPG

_DSC0099.JPG

Progress has been a bit slow the past week. I've averaged 10 hours at work per day (weekends included) and then 4-5 hours on the car per day, and a lot of that was planning out my fuel system and suspension components.

I was able to start stripping the body down to bare metal. For this I used a combination of an 'oscillating multi tool' with a scraper attachment and a angle grinder with a wire wheel. After spending a few hours getting it to it's current state, I decided that I wasn't happy with how much progress I was able to make. So I broke down and ordered some fine grade glass bead, which I will use to media blast the entire body in the next week or so. I already have a media blasting pot, so I'll just need to make a small 'booth' with drop cloths to keep the dust down and go at it. This will let me reach into all the nooks and crannies in the body panels and kill any rust, which will help me sleep better at night.

The progress I made before 'quitting' the wire wheel stripping:

_DSC0004.JPG

In case anyone is wondering, this tools works great at removing undercoating and especially the sound deadening material from the inside of the car;

_DSC0008.JPG

While I wait for the media blasting stuff to arrive I finished fabing up the new firewall and trans tunnel. I started with the center section:

_DSC0002.JPG

Interior view, the new location doesn't really cut down on foot room which is nice:

_DSC0005.JPG

Here are most of the panels tacked in place. I didn't bother to roll any beads or steps into the firewall pieces because they had enough curves in them to be pretty stiff to begin with:

_DSC0009.JPG

Putting the last piece in place. Start by tacking the side in place:

_DSC0011.JPG

Side view, you can see the curve that will be put in the piece:

_DSC0012.JPG

Here is a before/after of two holes I shaved. The before is on the right, fully welded, the after is on the left, ground smooth. When done the whole firewall will be that smooth and covered in a thermal insulator to keep heat out of the cabin.

_DSC0014.JPG

So... Many... Tack Welds....

_DSC0016.JPG

Finally the last shot from tonight, the entire new firewall and trans tunnel tacked and ready for welding and grinding smooth. Hopefully I can knock out a large chunk of that tomorrow, but it depends on when I get off work.... And yes, the picture was taken upside down for better lighting (did I mention I f-ing love this rotisserie!! lol).

_DSC0017.JPG

Just got home, and I have to leave for work at 7 tomorrow. Pretty tired, so I think I'll just let the pictures do most of the talking. I finished welding up the outside of the firewall and trans tunnel, as well as patched another section of the floor that had 3-4 different previous repair seams in it. Then I started on welding the interior seams of the trans tunnel and firewall but my welder started acting up and it was late so I called it a night. Tomorrow (later today I guess) I'm planning to finish the interior welding and grind down everything. Then I can move on to blasting the rest of the body, assuming my media gets in tomorrow.

Old crappy panel:

_DSC0018.JPG

Cut Out:

_DSC0019.JPG

New Patch:

_DSC0020.JPG

Tacked in place:

_DSC0021.JPG

I got tired of moving my light around as I tacked stuff in place so I made this handy adjustable torch light. It's always right where I need it to be pointing!

_DSC0022.JPG

First half of the tunnel welded up:

_DSC0023.JPG

Exterior of new panels fully welded, ready for grinding:

_DSC0024.JPG

All tucked in for the night, ready for sleep (me too!):

_DSC0025.JPG

Goodnight!

I just graduated from The Ohio State University this past December with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. Right now I work as a design engineer for a manufacturing company, we make equipment for the foundry industry.

Tonight I finished the rest of the interior welds on the trans tunnel and firewall and started grinding them down. The idea is to make it smooth enough that you can't see the seams once it's covered with seam sealer, undercoating and paint, making it look somewhat OEM.

Just a few pics of the progress. I used up my last grinding wheel before I finished so I'll have to pick some more up tomorrow in the a.m.

Before:

_DSC0017.JPG

After:

_DSC0001.JPG

_DSC0002.JPG

_DSC0003.JPG

Put in a solid amount of time today, and with the long weekend I still have two more full days I can throw at her. I'm hoping to get the whole body media blasted/stripped by the end so I can tear into the rust repairs that I know I'm going to come across.

First I started the day like any sane person, grinding down the rest of the underside welds in jeans, long sleeves and a welding jacket. Hell, it was only 95 degrees today.... But luckily that didn't take to long. Next up I took a break and ran to the hardware store where I found a 12ft x 100 ft roll of clear plastic drop cloth. I'll suspend this from the ceiling to make a 'booth' that I can blast the body in. This will hopefully keep the dust and sand from getting all over the rest of the shop.

But before setting up the booth I had to finish removing misc stuff from the unibody. First up was the rear chrome trim, which pops out with 4 plastic tabs:

_DSC0001.JPG

Rear Emblem, it was a little dirty behind it:

_DSC0002.JPG

Trunk Lock:

_DSC0003.JPG

Door hinge and pins:

_DSC0004.JPG

Rear Side Windows and Surrounding Trim (windows are already out in the pic):

_DSC0010.JPG

The Trim is held on with a few rivets, you can see two in this pic:

_DSC0011.JPG

Drilling them out:

_DSC0012.JPG

Yay, more surprise rust!! Although I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise anymore....

_DSC0013.JPG

The other Side was just as good:

_DSC0014.JPG

With the chassis/body stipped down to the bare shell the next step is media blasting to find any hidden cancer that is covered by paint and bondo. First thing tomorrow morning I'll set up the booth and start knocking it out. I hope to have it done by the end of the weekend assuming I don't run out of media or have any other issues...

A little bokeh to end the night with:

_DSC0025.JPG

_DSC0034.JPG