• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75 2002 Sleeper - M20B32, ITB, LSD

tinkwithanr

amazing build. Very inspirational. can't wait to see it done! Keep it up!!!!

Thanks! Your's isn't to shabby yourself. I'm actually hoping to do a full coilover conversion in the rear at some point like your. I'll probably shoot you an email when I get a little bit closer to that point.

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

Was just catching up on this on that 'other' site...boy do I envy your space and abilities. One day....

Keep it up!

- Jake

Current: 1975 2002 Automatic - 2010 Tacoma DCSB - 1997 Buell S3

Missed: 1967 1602 - 1973 Inka 02 - 1983 533i - 1995 325i - 2004 530i - 2004 X3 - 1999 R1100S - 2000 R1100RT - 2003 3.0 Z4 - 2004 325Ci - 2008 328Xi - 2009 135i - 1999 E36 M3 

Ah yes, over 'there'.... lol

We'll have to get the '02's in the area together when mine is actually back on the road again.

This is going to be so cool when you're done! I have been dreaming about a 10:1, 288 cam'd, ITB, 3+L stroker M20 in a 2002 for a while. Glad to see someone is doing it. Funny how scope creep happens. And wow, I wish I had a shop/space like that!

I'm planning the same thing for the rear end(e30 stock track width is ~2" wider than the '02). I am going to build a jig off my stock rear end(from a car I've driven for a while so I know it's alll lined up) using a set of IE solid subframe mounts. The jig will also have an old driveshaft flange welded to it to align the diff. After the jig is made I'll bolt the e30 diff to the flange and then go about modifying the E30 subframe while re-using the E30 subframe mount bushing cups. There is a much wider variety of inserts available for the E30(and the stock rubber ones are less than a third the price of the '02 ones).

I'll be using E21 trailing arms due to the finer splines/stiffer arm + larger drums(for now, Lee makes 300mm vented disc kits for e21 t-arms too). That's a 10mm increase in track width, but if I have room I'll move the trailing arm tabs even further in to make it stock '02 track width.

^Just some food for thought, its always better to have multiple inputs IMO. I look forward to hearing/seeing pics of how you go about it.

Then comes custom axle time...not looking forward to that expense.

Thanks for the kind words, scope creep is definitely a bitch lol.

As for the rear that's pretty much what I'm doing as well. I already bummed a spare 'complete' rear subframe from an '02 from Jason (Eurotrash) to build a jig from, them I'm going to modify my e30 subframe to fit the jig. I think the main difference is that I'm also going to use the e30 trailing arms. They are a stamped piece and fully boxed, so strength shouldn't be an issue. That will also let me use the e30 rear axels and disc brakes. The major downside is the wider rear track, but I figure I will be doing some kind of flare back there to cover up my horrid fender arches anyway. Seems like a much cheaper route than custom axels, plus a little extra track never hurt anybody. Oh, and I also got the e30tech camber/caster tabs for the trailing arms. They will let me fine tune everything once it's in there.

Just got back from the machine shop. Very impressed with their work overall, especially on the head. But I'll let the pictures do them justice.

Got the Cometic Gasket and the Pistons back today as well. Still just as sexy as the day I got them...

_DSC0004.jpg

_DSC0005.jpg

On the block it was pretty much just the standard stuff. Surface the deck, then bored it out to 86mm and a fresh hone. Then I also had them add some oil squirters from an m50 (I think). This should help keep the pistons temps down once the boost hits. They also have built in pressure regulators, so if the pressure is low it won't rob the oil from the main bearings.

_DSC0014.jpg

_DSC0015.jpg

_DSC0017.jpg

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the block deck, it's still in the trunk of my car and I couldn't flip it around to take the pics.

Now on to the head. First thing first was new exhaust and intake guides. Then the valve pockets were enlarges for +1mm valves (43mm intake and 37mm exhaust) with a 3-angle valve job to help improve flow. Then, last but not least, I had then fully weld the coolant passages were possible to ensure the head would be as strong as possible for the boost. This involved port-matching with the cometic gasket, leaving the most possible material while not reducing flow at all.

There's nothing like a clean head to start off the weekend:

_DSC0007.jpg

_DSC0008.jpg

The business side:

_DSC0009.jpg

_DSC0010.jpg

Close up of the welding and port-matching:

_DSC0011.jpg

Silly engine, thinking it's still a 2.5L....

_DSC0013.jpg

I still need to pick up all the gaskets, bearings, and small misc stuff before I can really start the assembly process. That and I need to decide on the color to paint the engine block. Right now I'm torn between white (easy to spot oil leaks and can look very clean), bmw motorsports red (would look great with the engine bay being white, which it will be) or motorsports blue (same as the red while being a little more subtle and vintage imo).

The e46 carrying the heart transplant to help it's friend, so touching.

_DSC0019.jpg

What compression ratio are you running? I thought you were doing 10.5:1 NA?

If you don't mind me asking, about how much does it cost to have the valve seat job and +1mm valves done?

What compression ratio are you running? I thought you were doing 10.5:1 NA?

If you don't mind me asking, about how much does it cost to have the valve seat job and +1mm valves done?

I am running 10.5:1, and it will be NA to begin with. Once I get the car back together and everything else with it sorted out then I'm going to slap a turbo on there for good measure. So basically I'm building up the engine now to be bullet-proof so when that time comes all I have to do is change out the manifold and exhaust and probably throw some bigger injectors on.

Oh, and the c.r. will be fine because I'll be using ethanol at that point. I want to incorporate a 'flex fuel' sensor so when I fill up with ethanol the car will know that it can run more boost and automatically adjust for that (with a manual override for emergencies). Then if I can't find/don't want to fill up with ethanol, the sensor will tell the ecu to back down on the boost and run it much closer to just a NA setup.

I sent you an email about the other stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress on the car as I haven't been able to get into the shop lately. But I have received the rest of the valve train parts so I can finish putting the head together.

_DSC0001.jpg

_DSC0001.jpg

_DSC0004.jpg

_DSC0005.jpg

_DSC0006.jpg

VAC Billet Rocker Arms

Eibach High Spring Rate Dual Springs

VAC Cr-Mo retainers

Hardened Valve Locks

Schrick 288/288 camshaft

Together with the lighter, oversized valves these should allow me to rev reasonably high with a good safety factor. I probably won't go much above 7.5k, but it depends on what the power curve looks like.

The next step will be to get the radiator and accessories sorted. I also want to fabricate a coolant overflow tank, oil catch can and brake fluid reservoir out of some aluminum I have. Hopefully I can get into the shop in the next few weekends and get started on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Small update, mostly just putting off writing my final paper for my history class lol.

As my last senior design project I was able to talk one of my professors into letting me do an individual study on casting. Long story short this was a way for me to work on the S54 ITB adapter and have it count towards my ME degree. I still need to finish up that report, and upon doing so I'll post up more of the details I went through to get to the finished casting stage. However, until then I'll just leave this in here:

11%2525201%25253A14%25253A17%252520AM.jpg

They obviously still need the machining work done to them, but that is the worlds first set of adapters for bolting S54 Throttle Bodies onto an M20B25 head. The total added length in between will be right around 2.5". While not ideal, it was the shortest distance I was comfortable with while still maintaining a smooth transition between the outlet ports on the throttle (oval shapped) and the inlet ports on the head (kinda like a sideways D). I must say I am surprised how well they turned out being the very first try at casting them. I had zero mold failures and assuming I don't find any internal porosity they should work just fine. Future improvements may include adding the ports to move the injectors out of the throttle body assembly and closer to the port (basically stock m20 placement) as well as adding extra material to allow the stock oil drain tube to be used. As it sits I will just be using a piece of rubber or AN tubing run from the center manifold down to the block.