mlytle

mlytle's M2 madness

1,091 posts / 405057 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

some info on a recent change i tried...

put the car in "street mode" for the Vintage last month.   (brake pads, rotors, springs (350/400), alignment change, different muffler, intake cover, damper adjust, normal street tires, etc.)   all good except for the sway bars.

i have IE bars front and rear.  they are awesome for track use with stiff springs and R-comp race tires.  with my slightly softer "street springs" they are way too stiff for the street tires.  car was very unforgiving especially in the front.  thg IE bar is very thick for a street car, and then the stiffness is effectively doubled because of the way it mounts to the car.  unlike all the rest of the stock and aftermarket bars that attach at the front of the subframe, the IE bar attaches under the engine.  this halves the length of the lever arm acting on the bar,  hugely increasing its stiffness.   this works fine with softer springs and street tires...or stiff springs and race tires....but is too much for stiff springs and street tires.

so....how to soften the bar up?   increase the lever arm.  i made up some short extensions that were bolted onto the bar to allow the sway bar link to be attached further from the bar pivot.

20190627_162353.jpg

mounted on the car

20190627_150930.jpg

did it work?  yup!  made the car nicely controllable during the couple days of mountain twisties we ran in the NC/SC mountains at The Vintage!

would be nice if the bars came with longer lever arms with a few more holes...but a simple addition made for better handling.  stiffer is NOT always better!

now to put the car back in "Track Configuration" ....instructing at several track schools in coming months....

Edited by mlytle

Very creative solution for reducing the roll bar stiffness.

Are you still running 350/450 f/r as your track rates? A quick search of your thread seems to indicate that was what you were on a couple years ago, but maybe I missed an update.

Thanks Marshall. I miss the 2002 on the track after a couple years of driving cars that are nearly 2x the weight of the 02. Hoping to get it prepped to be my primary track car later this year. I’m behind schedule for most of this season, but should be safely ready for next year. Still hoping I can get a few fall days in though.

I’m running 300lb at all corners currently and it was good for the street, if a little soft in the rear, but too soft on track. This is a helpful starting point.

The 350/400 set up was my original track configuration.  Really way too stiff for street..... But is the softest stuff I have! 😎

It was a good track setup, but I needed more when I started pushing the edge on race r-comps.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I’ll be running 200tw something- Hankook RS4, probably. So maybe I’ll start at 350/400 and see how that goes.

reversed all that street stuff back to track mode.  instructing at two events in next three weekends...time for some YEE HA!  😎

20190703_142511.jpg