mlytle

mlytle's M2 madness

1,091 posts / 402505 viewsLast Reply

My M42 Car could really use some Euroweaves Mr. Lytle. I think that M2 deserves something more spectacular than plain old Euroweaves, I'll take the scraps. :)

(I'm serious though, let me know if you decide to sell!)

LOL...."plain old euroweaves".... i know they are a high demand item..:-)

will let you know alex!

btw - for all who are wondering, all of the volvo/320 street and race brake parts i took off the car have been sold. and the GC struts and koni SA's were sold also.

and...thanks for all the offers of shop manual diff spec copies. it helped today. then i was just reminded that i had a downloaded copy of the shop manual on my computer! duh!

i got the pinion test mounted and inserted the LSD and side covers to check the lash. way off. i have lots of spare shims, but none are the right sizes. oops! BLUNT working on it!

Diff work on hold pending some side cover shims.

collected the parts for next project. can you guess what it is?

2013-02-08_14-26-20_877.jpg

no, not an undercarriage lighting system!

it is parts for a sequential shift light. the MAXX AN system has an output to control three LEDs and you can set the LEDs to come on at various rpm. it also has a brightness control for connecting a photoresistor to dim the lights at night. i couldn't find an appropriate photoresistor, so picked up a 0-10k ohm small potentiometer. all three lights and the Pot will go in the black box. i intend to mount the box on a flat "roundie" upper steering column cover. i have a few covers around here somewhere.

"an appropriate photoresistor"

Did you think about running another resistor in parallel/series to gain the right voltage range?

I was going to suggest sunglasses.

;-)

Did you think about running another resistor in parallel/series to gain the right voltage range?

now i can't get "I wear my sunglasses at night" song out of my head....

I was going to suggest sunglasses.

;-)

after spending 3hrs doing a upper rad hose change on wife's e46...argh, should have taken 15min, except for the dang newfangle "clip" hose connection would not push on far enough to catch. if only it had old style hose clamps.

got to the shift light project a bit.

box drilled

2013-02-09_18-16-35_18.jpg

lights and pot mounted

2013-02-09_18-35-06_242.jpg

2013-02-09_18-35-14_513.jpg

here is the concept. will run wire down through the column cover and under dash to the MAXX in footwell.

2013-02-09_18-55-38_514.jpg

thank you VIN 2574718 for the cover. wonder what became of that car? I have no idea where i picked up this stray cover.

thank you VIN 2574718 for the cover. wonder what became of that car? I have no idea where i picked up this stray cover.

According to 02Les' spreadsheet, that VIN points to a Chamonix sunroof '71 last noted as for sale in October '86 by Bob Knetl in Arlington, VA! Where did you pick up that cover?

"running - 45k on rblt mtr, all new ext metal"

squirrel!

diverted from shift lights to bumper today. i absolutely hate body work, and i suck at it, so i have been putting off the pre-bumper install paint touch up. time to get to it.

great use of one of the thousands of Eastwood catalogs i get...keeping paint in the right place. the rear knee trim on the right side of the car must have been loose as it chafed the paint off in a few places. taped it off, sprayed some primer and brushed on some touch up red. it should be under the long chrome bumper and should hide my mess..

2013-02-10_16-32-57_512.jpg

here is left rear. just had to use q-tip with the zinnorot touch up paint to fill the holes.

2013-02-10_16-32-42_60.jpg

PS- the body part under the car is a chopped out drivers seat mount area from one of the cars we cut up. i will use that in a future installment to mock up new seat mounts that will lower the seat a few inches.

and the "rack" to paint the tops of all the black plastic plugs for the holes.

2013-02-10_16-32-32_455.jpg

then put some oil in the engine. had not used this stuff before but it looked good at advance auto when i was buying coolant for wifes car.

2013-02-10_16-34-47_829.jpg

the stuff is actually BLUE! should match the ATE brake fluid nicely! LOL!

The M2 gave a kidney to its younger sibling today. My E30 325 had a fuel leak. Appeared to be coming from the high pressure pump. Hmmm, the M2/S14 uses the same pump configuration and the M2 is OOC for a while so I pillaged the bosch pump from it.

Where it used to be..

2013-02-18_16-17-23_604.jpg

The pump from the E30

2013-02-18_19-40-56_605.jpg

Now I have options..

1/ replace pump with the same one

2/ replace both the HP and the LP pumps with one 318is intank HP pump.

3/ replace pump with bosch 044 model in a surge tank…

Hmmmmm.

Turn back to the bumper project. Clearly all 2002’s are not made the same. Put the bumper on with anton’s kit and bolted it up tight. This is left side

2013-02-18_19-29-30_843.jpg

This is right side

2013-02-18_19-29-53_671.jpg

Right side further back and whole bumper is off to the left. Going to have to do some creative adjustment.

Decided to do an easy job…covered the rota center cap labels with roundels…

2013-02-18_17-49-42_644.jpg

2013-02-18_17-54-33_925.jpg

And found a new place for the track transponder since it won’t fit inside the new bumpers. Right side under radiator using the stock sway bar mount hole.

2013-02-18_18-58-46_418.jpg

Nice vise grip mount!

;-)

Replaced a misrouted charcoal canister vacuum line today. Water pump pulleys are abrasive!

Did I mention the weld let go at the tail of the center resonator Friday?

WP_001517_zps0a7e7ba6.jpg

Cheers,

vise grips make great ways to hold fuel line shut....kinda handy that one of them stuck nicely to the magnet on the speaker!

i imagine your car was a bit louder with that weld broken?

Yes indeed it was. I was fairly sure that weld had been cracked for some time. The car however became very resonant when I left work for lunch last Friday!

Excellent local shop accommodated me. They know Lloyd's tii too.

http://www.suprememufflershop.com/About_Me.html

Cheers,

vise grips make great ways to hold fuel line shut....kinda handy that one of them stuck nicely to the magnet on the speaker!

i imagine your car was a bit louder with that weld broken?