• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Fair enough. I've been hunting down the rattles in mine for a while, and I think both doors should be silent going forward -- once I get the remaining loose stuff underneath secured, I'll revisit NVH. Meanwhile I'll have to give a listen to Jim's next time we cross paths!

Thanks again,

Noah

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

for mostly street use, DO NOT use poly bushings anywhere in the suspension/subframe/diff except the sway bars.  use new stock rubber.

22/22 sway bars will be ok for street, just adjust them to maximum SOFT.

Thank you for the advice.  I have poly bushes on the front and rear suspension arms but not on the diff carriage, subframe mounts and front strut top mounts.  The anti roll bars have poly bushes.  I'll adjust to the softest position on the IE anti roll bars.

• 2 weeks later...

Our son owns a 1972 2002 that the previous owner installed the Massive front brake system (or something similar) on with a 5 series master cylinder, and VW rear discs c/w handbrake.  And they are incredible. 

We're putting together a 1973 for our daughter:  what would you recommend for brakes for a street only, summer only, 2002?  I've spent many an hour reading (and enjoying.  And being impressed by) your blog, and you've sure got a lot of experience with brakes. 

Thanks,  Doug

Best for that use would be either a fully refurbished stock system with good brake pads like porterfield r4.....or....

The proven Volvo/e21 system up front ( ie sells kit for this) with either stock rear drums or the vw disk system.  Again, must use GOOD pads and shoes.  Not cheap crap like metal master or parts store house brands.

Rear brakes do not add a lot to the braking power in street use, so choice in rear should hinge on maintenance.  Disk brakes don't need adjusting regularly.

2xM3

• 11 months later...

thread, and car, back from the dead.....

car has pretty much been parked since that last track event almost 2 years ago.  did a maint refresh on it and spent three days lapping Summit Point Main this past weekend while instructing at an SCCA event.

LOL...after driving E30 and E36 M3's on track for the last two years, the 2002 took a bit to get accustomed to again.  first session..oh my.  second session...oh boy.  next 6 sessions...OH YEAH!!!!  soooo entertaining to hustle that thing around a track.

20210502_130708.jpg

6min of video chasing an E36 M3 and new Miata.

• Like 2

2xM3

Great to see this thread revived again and your M2 back on the track. I was just digging back through it a few weeks ago for something as I prep my 2002 for a return to the track and noticed how long it’s been.

Your video has me full of anticipation for May 14, when I’ll get my 02 back on track after several years.

Thanks for posting.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

This is awesome. Is anyone going up for Track Daze on 5/22-3? I'll be in a red MR2 Sypder (promise not to laugh) until my '02 has a few more miles on it under the latest refresh. 

Take care,

Noah

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

Marshall,

I'm stoked to see this thread alive. Always a good day to put a drivers car through its paces.

Foook Yea!!!!

I too hope to feel the same excitement of....oh my......oh boy......oh yeah.......why did I garage this for 13 years. Tooooo fun!!!!!

Moe

Edited by MOESPEED2002
  • Like 1

SIGSTUFF2.jpg

Proud Member #190 since 2003.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, MOESPEED2002 said:

Hustling a drivers car. Excellent!!! Are you still using a 4.11 with OD? 

I finally got a track day in myself, July 2. I have yet to get through the gopro. As predicted, It really is a feeling you just can't explain.

Moe

Glad you got on track again!  Would love to watch a few laps of your video!

I swap diffs regularly... Currently running a 4.44 as it puts the shift points in the right spot for two of the tracks at summit point.  3.64 is the next best option as it moves everything down almost exactly one gear from the 4.44.  4.10 is.....ok.

2xM3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 7:59 PM, M2M3 said:

Glad you got on track again!  Would love to watch a few laps of your video!

I swap diffs regularly... Currently running a 4.44 as it puts the shift points in the right spot for two of the tracks at summit point.  3.64 is the next best option as it moves everything down almost exactly one gear from the 4.44.  4.10 is.....ok.

I agree with you. The 4.10 is ok with an E21 OD trans. Assuming that is what your using. I found this reasonable for my dual purpose car but not ideal on the track. Like you suggest, the 4.44 would be best for a track application but then your pretty much back to a 4 speed. I opted for a 245 CR box with a 4.10 and it is awesome. Your car would really benefit from a CR since you have cams and it would keep you in your powerband.

My recent track day at sears was my first time with the CR gearbox and new R&P so I was pretty reserved but still turning 2:04s regularly using only 4th and 5th. Momentum is our friend. I did snap a 2:02 but with all the rubbing, I had to scale it back. I'm pretty sure I could nail a 2:00 flat once I get comfortable with the car again and sort its issues out.

I do miss the OD though. Turning 3500-3800 rpm in the slow lane is a bummer at 1:1 w/ 4:10 but I don't actually mind now since most of the people driving by me are all thumbs up. Besides listening to an S14 on a freeway has been meditating.

Cheers

Moe

• Like 1

SIGSTUFF2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 4:36 PM, M2M3 said:

Hmmm... Taking $20k in equity out of the car....??

20210914_123923.jpg

Marshall

Everything turning out all right so far? The clutch and bellhousing must be the new lightweight model. Ouch!!! Any tunnel damage?

Hope she can get back on track soon. 

I destroyed a Sachs clutch too at one point but the bellhousing, pressure plate and trans showed no damage. I upgraded to a clutchmaster with HD link springs. To my understanding the s14 clutch from sachs is discontinued and has been replaced with a std 288mm. 

Cheers

Moe

Edited by MOESPEED2002

SIGSTUFF2.jpg