• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

weekend two.....sunny and upper 80's...more fun was had, this time with NJ BMWCCA on Summit Point Main track.

up on friends lift near track for prep friday.

20150724_162508.jpg

get to track to find...another 2002!  invited him to paddock nearby.  

20150725_121304.jpg

and it was a....

20150725_121247.jpg

M2!  very pretty verona roundie.  two M2's both red.  good thing my hood was black to tell them apart.

20150725_121239.jpg

20150725_121253.jpg

owner was in intermediate group and I  gave him a "warm up" ride in mine, then arranged to be a "guest instructor" for him for a session.

yummie bbq dinner at the track.  2002's make excellent dining room tables!   had to clean off the beer cup rings on the hood the next morning!  great fun!

20150725_191004.jpg

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

i ran the wilwood BP20 performance brake pads in the rear instead of the Performance Friction 01's to test moving the brake bias forward.   i think all that excercise did was to vaporize the BP20's...I guess they aren't really the "track ready" pads they are made out to be...this is a rear wheel after 4 sessions..

20150726_132516.jpg

this is a front wheel running the PF01's after same amount of sessions.

20150726_132526.jpg

put the PF01's back on the rear.  brakes hauled the car down WAY better....

2xM3

Two red m2's, woohoo! How'd the motors compare? How is he geared?

I got the project car started Wednesday I think. First time in 12 years. It wouldn't idle and symptoms pointed to a huge vacuum leak. I'd put on a Weber 40 and hogged manifold. After some head scratching, looking, and spraying of ether, it appeared some dummy didn't notice the #3 intake gasket was still on the old manifold. Idles much better now, and the motor sounds strong. Tho Simon tells me the valve springs are weak from sitting. I don't think so -- yet!

Gotta go thru the brakesand hydraulics and steering and attach the giubo... etc...

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

both of us will be at Ofest this fall though at NJMP.  i hope you can bring your red M2!! 

i will not be at the host hotel for any events.  no surprise, i will only be at the track burning up gas and tires all week.

2xM3

Im going to try and make it. Interestingly enough I'm moving from Philly to the Fairfax area, so it looks like summit point is in my future. 

1974 Cinnabar M2: S14/320CR/391LSD/Turbo Exhaust/Turbo Radiator/323 Trailing Arms/Ground Control Coilovers

think his S14 was pretty stock.  had a dogleg gearbox though.  did not know what the diff ratio was.

That's my old car!  Great to see the new owner putting it through its paces.  When I sold it, the engine was chipped with an Evo cam gear on the exhaust side, otherwise stock.  The diff is a 3.9 unless he changed it - man do I miss that gear box....

My new project car (original '72) shows up this weekend!

1972 2002

1970 2002 'M2'

and the final weekend in the Trifecta....SCCA school at Summit Point Main.  lots more gas and tires used up as the M2 continued to spin fast laps.

my student for saturday was in a track prepped 2002.

20150801_162926.jpg

car had not been on track for years, so unfortunately he missed the first three sessions sorting out fuel, spark and carb problems, but the last session was fun.  his car was totally gutted and had mostly fiberglass body panels.  rolled accross the scale under 1800lbs...with him in it.  that was close to 700lbs lighter than my car with me in it.  yikes!

student sunday was in a modified porsche cayman S.  nice ride!   good thing it has all those computer nannies though...student was using them to the max... :o

M2 will need some love after three weekends of exercise in a row.  it is filthy, covered with brake dust and track tire bit marks, and needs new brake pads and tires.   sure seemed happy though!

2xM3

i have wheel, steering wheel, car and diff problems...collect them. added a 3.64 S2 diff to the collection.  will try at next track event instead of the 4.44.  thanks to williamgruff for the squarie diff cover for it!  if the ratio works well, will have the LSD rebuild to increase the lockup.

IMG_20150809_170338.jpg

then started the CF trunklid modification project.  the company's mold is not the right size.  0.5 to 1.0 inch too long front to back.  need to trim it off the front of the trunk lid.  borrowed a spare lid from Marc to make a pattern to use for cutting the CF version.  i would use my own lid, but the car and trailer are stuck 80 miles away since my truck died.  typical Powerstroke 6.0 cracked head issue.  argh!

laid the lid on big piece of cardboard and traced the shape with razor knife.  will then use the cardboard as a pattern to mark the CF version for cutting.

20150809_164945.jpg

20150809_164926.jpg

Edited by mlytle

2xM3