• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

(NH Speedo did mine, to match the 4.10. It reads 2mph high. Grrr.)

Cheers,

Car is looking great.

Are you doing anything to make the speedometer reading reflect the 4.44 diff?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

well...it runs....and stops. entertained several people bedding in the brakes. really old r-comp tires with close to infinite number of heat cycles on a 38deg day do not provide much grip. tapping brakes easily results in one or more front wheels locking up in a cloud of blue smoke! LOL! conversely, dropping the hammer in 1st gear did the same for the rear tires..:-)

beautiful day though!

proof it made it out of the shop after 4 months...sorry about the crappy smart phone pics...

2013-03-04_12-22-09_925.jpg

2013-03-04_12-22-43_40.jpg

2013-03-04_12-21-41_870.jpg

2xM3

Did anyone ever teach you not to cover the lens with your finger? :)

Congratulations Marshall. The car looks stellar! Time to see how fast it goes with its many improvements.

What were its Summit Main / Shenandoah times pre-winter work?

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

Not bad.

For a squarelight!

;-)

Needs cf bits.

;-)

Did anyone ever teach you not to cover the lens with your finger? :)

Congratulations Marshall. The car looks stellar! Time to see how fast it goes with its many improvements.

What were its Summit Main / Shenandoah times pre-winter work?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

heck, i don't even know where the lens is on the dang smart phone!

times last fall were in the 1:28's. won't be getting there this weekend, way too cold. cold good for power, but not good for traction. will be getting used to the brakes.

yes, needs CF bits.....

2xM3

Still super jealous of you car Sir!!! I am happily saving money right now down in flight school, awaiting for the right shell to pop up near me so I can put that darn turbo motor that is still sitting in my garage in it!!! I look forward to seeing more progress on this car, always one of my favorites!!!

Chris

(Oh and no longer a Midshipman anymore, now an Ensign)

finished the shift light.

soldered up the connections in the box.

2013-03-05_09-57-25_831.jpg

shrink tube'd and stuffed in box

2013-03-05_10-01-22_121.jpg

tested with 9v battery

2013-03-05_10-11-13_512.jpg

time to head for the car

2013-03-05_10-01-57_642.jpg

installed connector on car end of lights

2013-03-05_13-25-33_617.jpg

flip down electronics panel and plug into the X2 connector on the MAXX AN

2013-03-05_13-49-08_730.jpg

installed in car. tidbit of trivia...the early and late top covers for steering column USE DIFFERENT BOLTS. luckily i had two of the early bolts in a bag of parts. willl have to find two more.

2013-03-05_13-50-50_242.jpg

the drivers view. speedo blocked below 20mph and above 110mph. no problem, don't care below 20 and if i am over 110 i am on a track and have better things to look at.

2013-03-05_13-48-39_381.jpg

then did several hours of maint on the F250. oil and filter change (4 gallons of oil!), both fuel filters, drain water/fuel separator, check brakes, tire pressures, clean batter terminals (two batteries), etc. ready for weekend towing...if we aren't snowed in!

tomorrow, shoveling and finishing the 4.44.

2xM3

I must say the car looks stellar with small bumpers, but I still miss the big goofy 5MPH bumpers. Still a ridiculously gorgeous squarie though, with the oomph to back it up. I can't wait to see it at V@V.

By the way Marshall, I sent you an email.

Alex
-'75 2002 with M42

-Spec E30

-'91 318is

• 2 weeks later...

We survived the track weekend. Had a great time despite the cold. Temps in the morning were in the mid twenties and got up to upper fifties by afternoon. The snow banks at the edges of the paddock would melt during the day making paddock wet, then freeze at night making parts of the paddock slick.

Tires - Cold enough in the morning that I ran the street yoko s.drives as the compound would be stickier than r-comps. Was interesting looking at the data from the sessions which showed the s.drives were 0.1g less lateral grip than the REALLY heat cycled out Toyo R888’s I was running in the afternoon. The s.drives really complained about being pushed, but actually gripped pretty well and were very predictable.

Brakes – bad….the Wilwood B-compound race pads up front did not bed in well. Left hard spots all over the rotors which caused massive vibration in the brake zones. Even an attempt to clear the surface with sandpaper did not have any effect.

2013-03-17_14-44-31_431.jpg

2013-03-17_13-31-55_401.jpg

The compound was also very hard to modulate. Developed max torque immediately and over powered the rear. Very touchy trying to keep fronts from locking up between the compound and the vibration. I will not be using that pad compound again.

Also had great example of “pad knock-back”. Remember how after you put new wheel bearings in, you need to run about a hundred miles then readjust the bearing tension? Well, after 125 track miles, the new bearings did loosen up a bit. After a series of hard right and left turns there was a good straight before a fast right hander. The turns and loose bearings allowed the disks to push the pads back in the calipers. When it came time to hit the brakes, pedal dropped a good 1-2 inches before anything would happen on first pump. Readjust those wheel bearings folks!

Suspension – worked well. Front had much less understeer with new Koni’s and sway bar setup.

Engine – worked great, data showed same small range of computer fuel corrections I was getting last fall. One glitch was on start up Saturday. One of the parameters in the fuel program went off kilter causing a no-start condition until I figured it out. My own dang fault for having computers in a 40yo car….;-)

Funny noises – no, not from the passengers…much… when I put the Rota’s and toyo’s on and headed out, I heard a road speed related ticking sound. Thought it might be loose brake pads as I would get that sound all the time in my E36 race car. bad guess. Good thing lead is softer than steel. The wheel weights on the rota’s were on the extreme outer edge of the inner wheels. Right where the hard brake line on the rear wilwood calipers came closest to the wheel. Brake lines were scratched, wheel weights were partially shaved off. ooops. Time to find another way to plumb the rear calipers.

2013-03-17_12-10-08_693.jpg

2013-03-17_12-09-40_1.jpg

2013-03-17_12-24-09_63.jpg

People – great crowd! JimG was there for Saturday and got a few track rides. Heath and his son came by to check out the cars on Sunday. He had some pics of his 2002. CL find…Verona roundie that was an abandoned resto project. Car looks beautiful. He got tons of new parts with the deal. Can’t wait to see it driving! Had novice student in a Subaru legacy GT Saturday and an intermediate student in a Pontiac GTO Sunday. Both were great to work with.

Didn’t get much in car video. If I get a chance will try to edit a segment where I messed with a Miata race car in the instructor group.

Next event April 20/21….much work to do before then!

2xM3