Sign in to follow this  
greenmachine

STOLEN! Taiga green 74 from West LA, CA

48 posts / 13359 viewsLast Reply

2002 FAQ'ers

Thank you all for your replies, and thank you Ray for the global announcement. I really don't expect to get the car back but I do want to make it as hard as possible for them to do anything with it. I have always known 2002 owners to be very passionate about their cars and am very happy to see it confirmed in this forum, again thank you for all your advice and kind words.

Best regards,

Doug

the company is called RMT. Rocky Mountain Tracking. They have a ton of auto related GPS. One feature that is cool is a starter disconnect. Doug I think you will get it back for one reason. The color is so unique. No chop shop wants a car that identifiable. If I were in your situation i would snail mail a color picture to every auto theft unit in a hundred miles. Also depending on your insuurance. After they pay you the car becomes their property and they are not obligated to let you know if its returned...Good luck

Guest Anonymous

I would call that an unhappy ending, (the insurance company gets their money back

Since the car has already been reported stolen, maybe you should post the license plate to everyone and the last 4 digits of the vin number. This could narrow down the search. Vin can be useful when someone's inspecting a car during purchase in case there's a color change. If your engine matches the car the number should reflect the on the recovery if they parted it out. My eyes are open in the Bay Area for you.

If a fellow member locates this car or engine please contact the local police and let them handle the recovery rather than yourself. This will assist in investigating the case and hopefully finding the bastard that stole it.

Good Luck!

Joey

I am never moving to Cali with my 02's. I have seen 5 stolen 02's and they are all from Cali. Watch for parts on Craigslist.

Well, I think it's because half the 2002s in the whole country are in California and many of those are not rusting away like they do elsewhere. And they are driven year round.

I see 2 or 3 2002s a week driving around, not counting my own of course or the ones of people I know.

more than likely the car was stolen to be used for the parts not to sell. Most old cars are stolen by people who have the same car at home needing what is on the stolen car. Good luck with getting it back.

This Sucks!

I'll keep my eyes open as will all the other '02 owners. This bmw2002faq community has more resources than the P.D. I had a fully restored 73 Datsun 510 stolen in Redondo Beach. When the P.D. showed up they looked at my many picture and responded with.. "They stole THAT?". The shell was found in Compton, bare 2 days later. I feel your Pain!

Good Luck

Chris