• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STOLEN! Taiga green 74 from West LA, CA

greenmachine

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was your car parked on the street overnight when it was stolen?

Does anyone think that "THE CLUB" is a decent theft deterrent?

If someone steals a 2002, I suspect they are targeting the car specifically. A club will not stop them. A club is a deterrent for joy riders and such. Professional thieves are not deterred by clubs or even alarm systems.

In most cases, they come with a tow truck, hook up, lift and take off.

They may break a window to release the hand brake or just slim-jim the door, or just bust the door lock to gain entry.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Yes the car was stolen when it was parked on the street. Of course it was always parked on the street, usually with a cover. I lived in a neighborhood where just about everybody parked on the street as the driveways were too narrow for using it for it's intended purpose. I think the post about ignition kill and steering wheel locks being almost worthless is pretty accurate. These days thieves will just pick it up on a tow truck and cart it off...

I think a lowjack or some gps system is the best bet for these types of cars given you will never get replacement value out of it through insurance. All those hours of combing the junk yards, forums and ebay for used parts, and your own labors, will not be considered in evaluation of claims.

Again a hearty thanks to everyone on this forum for your responses.

Guest Anonymous

There is a targa green 02 that looks identical in conditon to yours advertised in los angeles or orange counties craigslist. However, its listed as a tii

Here is one for sale in LA, a 74. And it's green.

E30 sport seats, Nardi wood wheel.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/1805899899.html

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Guest Anonymous

Sorry to hear of your lost child. I have owned 2002's in WLA for over 30 years, and have had many sleepless nights over sounds at night outside... People just don't understand how we love our little cars. Sorry for your loss, I am sorry for your loss.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

there is a tiaga tii on venice and Lincoln right now. going north on linclon... my buddy just called me and snapped a photo for me. it has blue plates. but i can's get decent resolution on my cell phone.

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

• 2 weeks later...

This is a sad story, but we'll keep an eye out in the East, as we don't have alot of 02's in that shape, But i can say this with some confidence. No 02 lover stole that car. One post suggest maybe someone needing parts, and that may be true. But he or she is not one of us...02 group is one of the most unusual, i've sent parts to ppl, as well, as ppl sending me parts.....and the money crossing in the mail.....its a fellowship like no other.

• 3 months later...