Sign in to follow this  
greenmachine

STOLEN! Taiga green 74 from West LA, CA

48 posts / 13265 viewsLast Reply

Good day 2002 enthusiasts,

I thought I might try to enlist the help of the forum in tracking my 1974 Taiga Green 2002 that was stolen on Sunday night or Monday, June 14. I don't hold much confidence in the police finding my car that I have owned and pampered for the last 20 years given when I was filing the police report, after they asked a bunch of random questions about the car, I had to ask them if they were interested in knowing the color before they hung up. It is a very unusual color (factory Taiga Green) that I have not seen on another 2002 for several years.

Distinguishing characteristics might be the rust bubbles on each door in the front bottom corner and a bluish colored imperfection in the paint on the driver side rear quarter panel. It has a sunroof and a Behr air conditioning system. The interior has newly reupholstered Recaro seats with a matching bench seat in back, 320IS steering wheel and a rear view mirror with map lights from a 325IS. Other mechanicals are a 5-speed transmission and a limited slip differential.

You can find more pictures here: http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/ad64/2002bmw/1974%20BMW%202002/ . If you see it or know someone who has please contact me at [email protected], or call the police. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Doug

post-9842-13667626882354_thumb.jpg

post-9842-13667626884039_thumb.jpg

post-9842-13667626885567_thumb.jpg

post-9842-13667626887204_thumb.jpg

post-9842-13667626888999_thumb.jpg

Doug, If there is any way to have someone keep an eye out at the ports, I would recommend that. It's either been stolen by local kids (in which case, it will likely emerge) or is on it's way out of the country. I had an 83 323i baurtop stolen from the Norfolk Virgina airport parking lot in the late 80's. Because of it's rare color (special ordered in Inka) like yours, it was easy to spot but never emerged. A number of years ago I saw some pictures of a BMW event in Brazil and there it was. I tracked down the owner, compared the VIN and it was the same car. It was purchased legally through an importer/ dealer in Brazil. Needless to say it's still there. Regardless of how much we like them, 2002's are not valuable enough to chop. Hope you find it and in good shape. Tim

It was purchased legally through an importer/ dealer in Brazil.

You lost me here: how can anyone legally purchase a stolen car?

Let me try to clarify it for you. In the 80's, there was much less connectivity between countries than exists today. There are many countries where it was fairly simple to reconstruct titles, import records, etc. and many stolen cars from the US found themselves for sale through legitimate dealers all over South America. US gov't didn't care much in my case and my insurance company hadn't a clue on what to do or just didn't thin it was worth the trouble. My point is the guy who owned it at the time, put down his money at a licenced import dealer and got a legitimate title and a pretty cool car. He was in no way complicit. As far as he was concerned, it was his car. Hope that clears it up for you.

It was purchased legally through an importer/ dealer in Brazil.

You lost me here: how can anyone legally purchase a stolen car?

Let me try to clarify it for you. In the 80's, there was much less connectivity between countries than exists today. There are many countries where it was fairly simple to reconstruct titles, import records, etc. and many stolen cars from the US found themselves for sale through legitimate dealers all over South America. US gov't didn't care much in my case and my insurance company hadn't a clue on what to do or just didn't thin it was worth the trouble. My point is the guy who owned it at the time, put down his money at a licenced import dealer and got a legitimate title and a pretty cool car. He was in no way complicit. As far as he was concerned, it was his car. Hope that clears it up for you.

Happened to me back in 86 as well. Xr4ti, one of the very first on the road in the US.

I finally put a GPS tracker in my 73. $150 for the unit. No monthly fee. $4.95 per track..You might try e photos to CHP as that color should stand out. Good luck. Pro thieves dont usually go for a car that is easily recognized....