Since I hadn't updated my original blog since November 2015, I'll just do a big information dump.
So the long short is that after I found an header leak and subsequent cylinder head chip, I pulled the engine and have since stripped the car down to its bare shell. Since then, I've got the engine in storage and have had the subframes stripped and primed, but now I wait for the weather to warm up so I can paint.
The plan is to strip the underside of the car and reapply paint and protection, paint the subframes, and then reinstall to get a railing chassis. I hope to get this done by late fall, but I'll see. Will let a handful of pictures tell the rest of the story.