Obviously not Peter Sellers, but I think Steve did a pretty good job.
So I found a write up I did for July of 2020 that never got posted. It’s obviously well beyond that now. I’ll post it up after this one. I wish I kept up with posting but it is what it is. I’ve been busy.
As you can see, the car is on wheels with rebuilt suspension and primed! I went with Southern Polyurethane Epoxy Primer. Very helpful on the phone. I found them to be very accommodating. It’s got boxed trailing arms and front control arms. Custom bump steer spacers - the designs of which can be found in the BMW 2002 project in the OnShape 2002 project along with a bunch of other parts.
I rebuilt the steering box, replaced the driver side motor mount tab on the new, non-tweaked sub frame hung the doors and fenders, sanded the whole bloody car, constructed a paint booth and primed it.
Also sent the block out for boring and honing, got the rotating assembly balanced and put that ish together. Got JE 10:1 pistons at 90mm bore and a set of ARP studs.
A coworker turned down a water jacket nipple out of some 304. My original one was all corroded.
Just need a new pilot bearing for the trans input shaft. Then the flywheel goes on, clutch, etc. We are getting there.
I decided to go with the shaft collars for the rocker arms instead of the stock springs and such. I bought these - (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GT9QNMJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1)
They will see no load so as long as they don’t disintegrate I should be fine. I know they're 5/8” (15.875mm) the rocker shafts are 15.5mm OD - fight me. Also got a sporty cam from I.E.
There have been a few additions to the shop as well. I just picked up an old Atlas lathe. It’s in pretty good shape. The cross feed needs a new nut for the acme thread. There’s a lot of backlash, but otherwise it works well. Hope to get a variable speed motor on it soon and lose all the pulleys out the back.
Last summer I picked up an 80 gallon air compressor. This was a somewhat foolish purchase, and I’ll tell you why.
I saw it on facebook marketplace. Ad said 17 cfm 2 stage Charge Air Pro air compressor. I did not bother to look up the part number and took the seller at their word on the specs… after all it was written in big letters on the side of the tank. 17.1 CFM at 90psi. Compressor had two pistons – nice – two stage… wrong. When I got the unit home I planned on replacing the oil in the compressor so I googled the part number on the compressor. 12.5 CFM. Not a CAP compressor. I went back out to look at it and yup, the compressor was mounted to the tank with a stack of washers, the motor was a 3HP instead of 6.5HP. All the signs were there. If I just looked the part up on the internet (or was the least bit investigative when I went to pick the stupid thing up) I would have seen that this was a different motor/compressor on an 80 gallon tank that said the original specs. Live and learn – at least it wasn’t expensive.
“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”
And another thing about air compressors! Here’s your grandfathers unsolicited advice: The seller had an air dryer at the outlet of the compressor. That is the wrong place for one. It needs to be a good 15 – 20 ft away from the tank outlet to work. P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2. Good old Avagadro's law. I ran 1/2” line throughout the shop so I can get all the CFM I need where ever I am doing what ever I need to do.
I bought a pioneer heat pump split pack. It’s almost set up but it should help a bunch for the rest of the winter and on those really hot nights in the summer.
I got our energy company to bring 200 amp service to the garage, so I have a dedicated 200 amps that will not make the lights dim in the house when I start up the TIG welder or air compressor.
Edited by peterman