Jump to content

1600 Cabriolet Door Seals


Picked uptake new door seals ordered from Walloth-Nesch at Vintage Sports & Restoration Friday January 15, 2021. Had been waiting a year for the set of new door seals to become available & bought them the day I was notified of their availability.

 

First step was to label where each seal went, wash off the mold release powder & sand the gluing surface of the rubber.

2nd step was removing the desicated old rock hard door seals & clean up the old glue with Xylol. This process took an eye for detail over 2 days, with breaks for fresh air.

 

The full Cabriolet door seals are made of 4 separate pieces. A-pillar, door sill, upper B & lower B-pillar seals.

 

The A-pillar starts at the top & meets with the top's foam window block. For this I had the top up & locked. With a plastic broad bladed trim tool, I worked the rubber flange into the aluminum channel. This took 10 minutes per side & let the lower part hang loose for now.

 

The B-Pillar lower part was installed next. The top needs to be unlatched & lifted to give ample space to install. This piece clamps the top of the body panel & has a channel that extends to the rear upper door card. Then gets glued in position. 

 

Upper B-pillar on the 1/8th window. I put the top up & latched to see how long the piece needed to be, unlatched the top & opened it 1/2 way. It's an easy piece to install. I didn't glue it, there is a flange on the leading edge then pressed in the back with the plastic trim tool. I went from an inch above the flange to 1/8 below so it meets the top of the lower B-pillar slightly compressed.

 

The door sill seal I fit the the B-pillar first then installed the screwed on sill plate with 6 stainless 8 x 3/4 (8 x 2mm) Phillips pan head screws. I installed all 6 screws then marked the A-pillar to the sill gasket, removed the first 3 screws & test fit them together. When it was ready, I glued the lower A-pillar & fit the small tab into the door sill seal. Finished installing the screws & lastly the pinch welting.

 

The next project is to adjust the doors & A-pillar windows. The driver side door needs be lowered in the front & raised in the lower right corner. The passenger side requires a window height adjustment & the A-pillar window raised and tilted inwards 1-2°. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Janusary 21st. Finished installing the door seals this morning. Thank you Mario Langsten, Chris Langsten & Voit Ritch for the advice & guidance.

I used 3M Yellow Weatherstrip Adhesive which works great.

IMG_4814.jpeg

IMG_4815.jpeg

IMG_4816.jpeg

IMG_4817.jpeg

IMG_4818.jpeg

IMG_4819.jpeg

IMG_4820.jpeg

IMG_4821.jpeg

IMG_4824.jpeg

IMG_4825.jpeg

IMG_4826.jpeg

IMG_4828.jpeg

IMG_4829.jpeg

IMG_4830.jpeg

IMG_4832.jpeg

IMG_4833.jpeg

IMG_4838.jpeg

IMG_4840.jpeg

IMG_4842.jpeg

IMG_4843.jpeg

0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.