Today I removed the fenders to check and see how bad the rust is on the pillar. Not Bad!!! Great news.
I was pretty anxious to tackle the leaded joint up front. I mean I have taken so many fenders off cars - dodge dart, plymouth valliant, vw Bug, (never a ghia though) and NONE of them had a leaded joint!
OK so I started there first. ground off the paint to see only shiny metal - got out a pic and sure enough it was soft.
Then I got out the heat!
And sure enough there were the two welds folks spoke about - original from 1970! Such a treat.
Next to go were the 12 bolts and philips screw and a little coercing of the tab down the bottom and off they came. No issue. And I gather the first time ever.
You can see the A Pillar of the passenger side is seeing some deep pitting - so I will cut that area out from a donor and replace it. Otherwise all is really clean. The passenger fender web that attaches here also had some rust - about three inches that I will patch in a piece of donor metal.
The other problem areas were clear on body and in fenders. Great California Car.
Edited by Markster