Jump to content

We have hydraulic systems... among other things

Sign in to follow this  
VWJake

190 views

It’s hard to remember all of things that have taken place since last I updated this blog but here it goes:

 

With the shortblock/trans/subframe in the car I turned my attention to the shift tower. I’m using the early style linkage as that’s what I had available to me. I shortened the the tower to fit centered in the opening in the tunnel, then cut down the shift rod to match. All new bushings/isolators/and a shortened support rod were installed.
 

I ended up ordering a new clutch master cylinder and calipers as the master I had intended to use had deep pits in the bore after cleaning and I realized that for about $35 ea for reman’d calipers it just wasn’t worth my time to tear into old ones. I’ll save those and the kits for an emergency situation/rainy day. I recreated all of the brake hard lines in Cu Ni alloy. The trailing arms were cleaned, new bushings installed, painted, and all of the braking components were refurbished/replaced. The parking brake handle got some attention: cleaning, straightening, lubing, shiming. After that the new cables were installed along with the resealed/painted LSD and subframe (complete with new mounts/rebushed diff hanger). I now have a set of Poly subframe mount inserts that I will get around to installing at some point. IE stage 2 springs, 1 dot pads, and Bilstein Sport shocks finished out the rear suspension 

F43DC08F-ACFA-4726-A1ED-2F1222C0A697.jpeg

7F9999E2-4845-4A4D-9463-1451929A6413.jpeg

6989A901-78C6-4FA8-9884-AE0AD006342D.jpeg

Both front wheels now point the same direction again thanks to a new center link, new inner and outer tie rod ends and freshly blasted/painted turnbuckle tubes. Reconnecting the steering column to the steering box will happen soon.

 

There were quite a few rust blisters on the underside of the car that were scuffed and treated. Most of the seams have an application of 3M seam Sealer now. There are a few yet to.

 

In the interior I’ve managed to POR-15 the floor pans and apply Kilmat to most of the surfaces. The heater box was disassembled/cleaned/reassembled with new foam. Wiring harnesses have been cleaned/rewrapped/placed. A new tank to engine fuel line (the special cohline heat sealing variety) has been routed through the cabin. 

EB3F4E59-726D-429E-9498-E890C5367239.jpeg

 

I’d better get my driveshaft measured/cut and get the cylinder head stripped/milled soon. Those are quickly becoming the “hold-ups” to taking a short test drive before the bodywork begins.

Sign in to follow this  


0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.