It all started with a two rust bubbles. One on the bottom of the passenger door, and a more serious one on the bottom of the driver's side rocker. That one was the outer rocker beginning to rust through.
While I have owned the car since 1987, it was a daily driver before that. So probably a good 17 years as a well-cared for daily driver. So when I bought it in '87 I knew it was fairly solid, but not perfect, in terms of the condition of the body.
And over the years, trips to Vintage and PVGP had certainly exposed it to a couple of full-on Midwestern downpours.
So it was time to do something, before the car got much worse. I had preserved it one other time in its history, so this was the second go-round.
The paint from '92 was still in good condition, and I really didn't want to paint the entire car. I knew if I did, I would find myself creating reasons not to drive it. And really, the best part of having it is driving it. I didn't want to paint myself into a corner (rimshot).
Here are a few shots of it before the work started. (Whoa what a trip down memory lane! These are from the last six years or so).