Jump to content

Broken Grill Slat Fix

adawil2002

761 views

One of the slats on Vern’s passenger side grill broke. I tried several backer rods which were all to big. I wound up using a WD40 straw so I don’t have to worry about galvanic corrosion. 

The repair worked better than expected and pleased with the results. Unfortunately I found other slats with stress cracks, so I’m going to reinforce them before they break. Checking the driver side grill too.

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg



2 Comments


Recommended Comments

Nice going, I hope it holds...

 

My go-to repair method is JB Weld and a 3” length of coat hanger wire. I lay a generous bead of JB Weld in a 3” area across the crack, drop the wire down on top of it, press it down and add a little more JB. It’s always worked great and I’ve never encountered any “galvanic corrosion” (god, you’re such a geek! 😘).

 

COOP

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

■ Hello
Is restoration progressing smoothly?

 

I also repaired the grill in the past.
The used grill I got was broken.
I tried brazing but failed.
Finally, the bent metal (wiper rubber core) was epoxy bonded.
I am enjoying the restoration slowly.

2019102002.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.