When delivered in Hayward, California for body work I got busy searching for the needed metal. Between BMW directly and other online vendors, I found new rockers, new rear wheel arch flares, and a new section of the front nose all to be grafted into the car once the rust was cleansed.
To identify the rust, the car was stripped down to bare metal:
During the strip, some body panels needed to be replaced. I found a nice set of used Baikal blue doors and a replacement passenger side fender.
The body shop sealed the bare metal as they went:
The body work was finished over the course of 5 weeks and 100 hours. Then she was loaded up and dropped off to me. I will now work on removing the powertrain, the glass, and all old seals before the final prep can begin for fresh paint!
(There are a few areas that need more body time. The rear side reflector holes are to be welded up, and the front nose hasn’t been fully finished.)