After years of E30's (among other things), I got a line on a very well priced, running and driving 1974 2002tii. I inspected as best I could, paid the man and took her home. I'd like to bring this car up to a "solid driver" standard, which will include rust repair, a repaint, interior refresh, and addressing any mechanical issues. I'd like to keep modifications to a minimum and just enjoy the car as it was designed, but I'm sure there will be some exceptions.
My previous automotive endeavors: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=340688
I'll be looking to you guys for some pointers / general direction on a few key items, but for now, the to-do list:
- Overall Panel Fitment is poor (trunk rubbing, alignment, doors don't close well). I'd like to make any adjustments prior to stripping/inspecting for rust.
- Known rust in the trunk, nose panel and driver's floorboard. I'll likely need a new panel for the floor, the trunk will need to be fabricated. The nose panel will be interesting. I believe there is some rust near the headlight buckets, but nothing external. However, the lower part of the valence does seem thoroughly done. I'd like to replace this lower section entirely with an aftermarket unit if possible, open to suggestions.
- Sunroof is very tight while moving. This will need to be resolved prior to paint/disassembly.
- Overall front panel alignment with the fenders and hood is poor. This section may need replacing, any suggestions or input is very appreciated!
- PAINT! This will include stripping numerous areas to make sure rust isn't present. PO did a good job in the fender wells and roof, but didn't address the floor or trans tunnel.
- New window seals will be needed throughout.
- Carpet is done, needs replacing
- Door panels have been screwed on , will need replacing as well.
- Seats should be salvageable, would like to redye to a single black color.
- Console was made by the PO, would like to find an OE solution or delete entirely.
- New steering wheel will be needed.
- Dash is cracked, will need replacing or mending.
- HVAC is missing/nonfunctional? Need to investigate.
- KFish is contributing to a pretty consistent stutter under high load. Need to investigate.
- Distributor may not be original, any hints folks?
- Fuel Gauge is not operating. Possible grounding/wiring issues throughout the car.
I've seen folks around here save much rougher cars than this one, it just seems to have too much potential to throw away. BMW Archives confirmed it as an original tii based on the VIN. The original color was Turkis, that's what it will go back to. Engine bay/trunk/undercarriage/floor will all get POR15'd and remain black.
Outside of the bodywork, my main dilemma is with the tii mechanical injection system. If this miss proves to be something that requires serious effort / $$$, how much will I hurt the cars value by going to a nicely implemented aftermarket EFI system (i.e. megasquirt) and a set of ITB's? Are tii's worthless without the KFish system? How original should I stay given that this won't be a rotisserie restoration? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
As she sits;