So I finally learned how to tune my Weber 32/36. I was down to like 15 MPG highway and now the car is running soooooooo smooth... I don't know why I waited so damn long to learn as it was SOOO easy to tune. Anyhow, after I tuned the carb, I found a vaccum leak in the power brake booster system, specifically where the little plastic connector that is attached to the hose coming off the intake manifold attaches to the drum that holds the pressure. When I took out the connector and the grommet (gasket ring?), I found the grommet had a tear in it. I tried to rubber cement the tear until Monday when I could have my shop order the gasket ring/grommet for me but that didn't work. As the leak was causing my passenger side brakes to drag (not a fun sound), I decided it was necessary to improvise. I went down to Autozone and found a GM grommet for the oil dip stick that was the perfect diameter for this application (Autozone part #65113), 16" of coolant system hose and some silicone gasket maker and just replaced the whole problem section. The brakes have never felt so strong!
Oh also, I picked up an M10 from an 1980 E21 320is over the weekend with a Getrag 245. Really excited to swap this in! I'm debating whether I want to do the CIS fuel injection or just run my Weber. I know the CIS will improve my mileage if I get it set up properly but now that I know how damn easy the Weber is to tune, I'm not sure if I want to deal with the hassles the CIS will present.
Also, can I use the 02 bottom end with the E21 head so I maintain the 2.0L displacement? Regardless of whether I'm running that with the CIS or the Weber, it should still provide a little bit of a power boost correct? I know already about the reverse cam/distributor gear but I got the E21 distributor with the engine so there wouldn't be an issue on that side of things. Would that all work out nicely for me? Anyways, exciting stuff happening. Also, will the 02 intake manifold with a carb block off plate work with the CIS fi should I choose to go that route?
I'm pretty damn broke at this point so I will need to wait a bit to do the engine swap as I don't have the money for the shortened driveshaft and mounts and all the rest of the things I will need for the 5 speed so I'm stuck for a little bit. Should have the money to move forward with everything in a few weeks.