As I mentioned at the end of my last post, my immediate drive line plans are to ditch the m10. The ideal choice for me was an m20 because nothing beats a bmw i6. Backup choice, and all around easier swap, is the m42. Facebook marketplace made that decision a lot easier for me with a $400 m42+g240 about 15 miles away.
The engine has about 200k on it so at the very least a minor refresh is in order. I decided to pull the head and oil pan to inspect everything. I'm glad I did. No catas
... because it's the little things that count.
So to build from my last post. I did some of what I said I should do. #1 I got the car warmed up and made sure the coolant was all set. Good to go there.
In an effort to eliminate a potential vacuum leak I disconnected and plugged the vacuum line to the distributor and then set out on tuning the idle. I screwed the mixture screw in probably 1+ full turns until the idle came up. So i dropped down a jet size and did it again un
So I am now beginning to think that I may have done too many things at once.
Here's what I did, all at once:
Remove AC, Remove EGR, reject carb to cdiesel prescription, refresh cooling system, rebuild heater box
Here's what I should have done, one at a time, not necessarily in this order
1) check timing
2) adjust/reject carb
3) remove EGR
4) Repeat steps 1+2
5) Remove AC and refresh cooling system
Not only would this have kept th
Let me start with the brick wall I've hit. The EGR pipe adapter in the exhaust manifold is one stubborn S.O.B. It will not budge. I am down to 3 foreseearble options:
1) More heat, I need to let the torch cook it for longer. I always get antsy when torching.
2) Cut off the head of the fitting and hope it is seized on the face, not the threads. (If it is a tapered thread this would not be a good idea)
3) Remove the exhaust manifold and replace it.
Luckily it is not holdi
After yesterdays blog post I got to work getting the rest of the AC system out as well as the EGR system.
I removed the AC compressor, which I'm pretty sure could run a small motorcycle, through the bottom without having to put the car up on jackstands which was nice. I was also able to pick up where my wife left off and pull the full center console out. I honestly think it looks pretty good without a console and I may leave it out in the future.
As I noted in a comment
I have broken up my project into a few stages. Stage 1 of the project is just to kind of get it mechanically sound again. Something I can drive with an acceptable level of confidence. Luckily the previous owner supplied me with a nice cache of new parts to get started with.
I begin in the engine bay. My goals for the engine bay are pretty simple for now. The engine starts and runs pretty well. It burns oil, that much is for sure, but other than that it seems to be in decent shape. E