Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    8
  • comments
    5
  • views
    322

About this blog

Pics and description of the body/chassis metal work done in the Spring/Summer of 2019.  

CEF0AF8B-925F-41F3-A22E-C42E3FD4EC2A_1_105_c.jpeg

Entries in this blog

 

Spare Tire Well

We replaced the spare tire well, as it was rusting.     We bought the replacement from Wolf.  They sprayed the color and shutz in the way the factory did.  Thanks for the tip from Andrew Wilson on that.      

saaron

saaron

 

Final Product

Reggie's wife Stephanie took some nice pics of the car after it was all cleaned up.  So photo credit goes to Stephanie Stewart.     Car came out great.  Nice to know it is solid underneath, once again.  Hope it lasts another 50 years!

saaron

saaron

 

Painting, Body Shutz

Reggie's used the same DuPont paint that was used in the early '90s.  They used the door to create the match, since they could see it from all angles, and get good light on it.  The paint match turned out pretty nice, I have to say.  They did a great job.  And I didn't have to spring for a full repaint.     Here's the various coatings, etc, that were used, from an email from Reggie: Behind and in-between metal that will no longer be accessible, we use a weld-through primer, w

saaron

saaron

 

Driver's Side Part 2

More pics of the work on the Driver's side of the car.  We thought this would be the worst side, but that wasn't entirely accurate.     The rockers were pinched-welded as you can see, like the factory.     Real goal was preserve the car, not restore it.  

saaron

saaron

 

Driver's Side Part 1

The plan was to replace both rocker panels, and the spare tire well.  And anything else that the excavations turned up.  We knew we would find more.     Thanks to Reggie Stewart - his shop Reggie's Motorworks did the work.     Also thanks to Paul Wegweiser, who supplied a lot of the parts via Maximillian's.     Special thanks to my wife for supporting me on my expensive hobbies!   Here's what was found on the driver's side.  Work was needed on the lower pa

saaron

saaron

 

Before...

It all started with a two rust bubbles.  One on the bottom of the passenger door, and a more serious one on the bottom of the driver's side rocker.  That one was the outer rocker beginning to rust through.    While I have owned the car since 1987, it was a daily driver before that.  So probably a good 17 years as a well-cared for daily driver.  So when I bought it in '87 I knew it was fairly solid, but not perfect, in terms of the condition of the body.     And over the years

saaron

saaron

Sign in to follow this  


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.