Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    5
  • comments
    2
  • views
    435

About this blog

My first car was an inka 2002 that I bought in 1996, which started me off (pretty much straight away, as the car wouldn't start the next day after I got her home!) in my DIY car repair adventures. I really enjoyed working on the 02, it was pretty straightforward and accessible (unlike most modern cars) to do repairs. In 2001 I left Sydney and I regretfully sold the car.

 

In 2008 I bought two 02s as a lot which was being restored by the PO. One car had already been dismantled, this one has a good body and the other was to be used for parts. Soon after the purchase I got the body sprayed (Inka off course) and started sorting through all the boxes of parts when my life changed course again and I became a father. So the two cars sat around and got dragged to new locations when we had to move. Now it is 2019 and I've started putting the car back together.

 

This blog is my journey in putting the pieces back together.

Entries in this blog

 

Grilles and Doors

The chrome work around the outside really helps bring out the personality of the car, the grille being the centre piece. The T-bolts holding the chrome pieces at the end points were so rusted that they were no longer usable so I had to make them up by welding little bolts to pieces of drilled metal plates. There are also 2 hooks on the side of the grilles next to the headlights which pull the grille flush, one of these was missing and the other was broken so more fabrication. The spares car is a

InkaSam

InkaSam

Bonnet and Bumpers

Bonnet and Bumpers

Some of the tasks that I thought would be easy bolt-on tasks turned out to be much more involved than I thought. The bumpers being one of them. I found that all the t bolts holding the rubber to the chrome bumper were all rusted and they would almost fall off at the sight of my spanner, of course it's really hard to find these special T-bolts where I am so I decided to make them by welding threaded rod to a cut off end of a electrical half saddle which is used for holding 20mm conduit. It was ju

InkaSam

InkaSam

It runs!

It runs!

After 12 years of the engine being dormant, I was so surprised to hear the familiar sound of the M10 engine again!  Starting your first rebuilt engine is one of those one off feelings! I wasn't sure if it would work because of the poor state of the pistons although the engine still has a bit of a hiccup which I am not sure what is causing it, I tried a different distributor but it's still there.   The car is not registered so I haven't taken it out of the driveway so I'm not

InkaSam

InkaSam

Bolt it back together and run it

Bolt it back together and run it

Having a 121 head, I've had a hard time finding suitable pistons for my matching number engine. So I decided to use the engine out of the spares car to practice on while I search for pistons. The bearings wore pretty bad on the practice engine and the oil pump chain was too loose, the ring lands were way out of spec so I am just going to replace the bearings, new oil pump chain and put the old pistons back in and see if it will run.          

InkaSam

InkaSam

 

One step at a time

So far I've put the fuel tank back in, rewrapped the wiring harness and taken all the brake parts off for reconditioning. But I've just now started taking photos so i'm going to jump in with this one of the firewall with insulation put in.      The rotors back from machining:   New rubber parts for the callipers:   Bearings repacked, rotors and callipers back on:   The steel lines in and the reconditioned master cylinder mounte

InkaSam

InkaSam

Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.