Took off the front fenders to see what was underneath the seemingly solid fenders.
After burning off the old lead that smooths out the upper seam, we removed all the fender bolts holding everything on. A bit of wiggling with a screwdriver to break the old body glue and the fenders were free.
We discovered the blinker buckets were largely gone - and "remade" during a previous restoration of the car - a scotchbrite pad was shoved into the space for body filler to grip to as the bucket was "fixed".
The outer edge of the headlight areas were also rotted out and after drilling the spot welds off removed and we made some new ones to put in their place.
Posts are going to be a bit rapid-fire since this all happened about a year ago but I wanted to pop this on the FAQ and not just our IG.
The pickup of the new project - 1975 BMW 2002. We've dubbed the project: Project Not a Bronco, since my wife really wants an early bronco, but they're insanely expensive and I wanted a 2002 anyways.
We're meeting halfway and the plan is to paint it in Colorado Orange.
As it sits:
• there are three floorboards that need replacing
• a motor and transmission need to be sourced
• a patch needs to be made for the spare tire well
• dents pulled from the nose
• rust patches on the rockers
• replacement fenders
The body has some layers of primer and filler that we plan to strip off down to bare metal to see if there are any other discoveries.