When I was running the engine on the stand, I used the default tables and only modified a handful of settings specifically to the engine. It started and ran "fine" that way. Once I moved everything into the vehicle and was ready to actually start tuning, I wanted to establish a more rational baseline to work from. The very first thing I did was upgrade my MegaSquirt firmware to the latest version. Mine was very old (3.1.0 vs. 3.4.2), and this change alone made the engine run noticeably better. I
So, my first specific task towards converting my M10 over to EFI was to draw up a wiring diagram for my MegaSquirt-based (more specifically, MicroSquirt v2.2 based) Stratified PNP ECU:
I will update this image as I continue to refine the diagram (updated 5/22/18 to correct coil wiring). There are few enough wires involved that I can use just the big 26-pin plug going into the OEM-style connector on the ECU.
I'm using the TPS from a 1984-89 Nissan 300ZX with th
As I suspected, the Geo Metro air control valve did not move enough air for the m10 engine. So, I got a Ford style valve and installed it. Now the engine starts and idles as it should. Here are the details of my installation.
1. I made this steel bracket to mount the IAC under the first and second tubes of the intake. You'll note that I had to grind that nubbin down a little to clear the valve body:
2. Here is the Ford idle control valve mounted to the bracket. I hav
So, this project has been on hold for a while as my next big step is to really learn how to properly tune MegaSquirt, and I just haven't had the time to commit to that.
But, I had a couple hours today which I spent casting a proper delete plate for my distributor. This is my first sand casting using a core (to create the hollow for the cam end).
You'll see there's a little divot at the upper left. This is where I can drill and tap for the oil pressure sen
So, I've been busy selling off some of my cars, and haven't really been giving this project as much time as I'd like. But, I managed to finish the wiring harness and start the engine this week. I've updated the wiring diagram in the first post to reflect the current configuration. After the successful start, I'm taking some time to reconfigure my engine stand set-up so that it will be less ad hoc during the tuning phase.
Here is an overview shot of the engine as it sits this evening:
So, this week I found time to finish machining my 36-1 teeth into the stock pulley and cast two more pieces for the EFI conversion.
First is a bracket to hold the crank sensor from DIY AutoTune:
Second is a small plate with a port to connect to a Suzuki Swift IAC (idle air control) valve. I'm not 100% sure that this IAC will allow enough air flow for the M10, considering it's from an engine with half the volume, but I had one easily at hand, so I'm giving it a t
I've decided to share my process of converting my M10 engine over to MegaSquirt EFI. There are several build thread here and elsewhere that chronicle this process, but I'll be doing a few things differently, and I find that it's helpful to be able to see these sorts of projects from a variety of approaches. I will attempt to be as thorough as possible, including process, part numbers and prices. But, for now here's some random initial progress.
Here's my engine on the stand, largely