• entries
    12
  • comments
    36
  • views
    3,100

About this blog

Some time ago I started building a replica 1:1 scale engine out of cardboard. It's still in progress as I figure out how to make each part. The plan is to build most of the individual pieces and then assemble like the real thing. I am using gaskets as the foundation to making every part. Artistic license has been granted when making those challenging and complex items with curves and shapes that cardboard just can't get right or for structural purposes as well. Paper engineering at it's highest art form. 

 

Entries in this blog

 

Cardboard M10 head complete

Originally I was gonna make the valves and valve springs open and close.  After a year in building this, I came to my senses and went for the look instead.  Made some stylized spark nuts too. The rocker arm shafts had to be made independently  to account for the variances in the head assembly.  The valve springs I coiled around some PVC pipe and glued linear struts to hold them to shape. Works for this application.     

conkitchen

conkitchen

 

Cardboard Weber 40 or 45 whatever it takes

I think my last real effort was 7 months ago on this project.  Made some progress on the carbs worth reporting. This is one of two carbs of course.  enjoy and remember this is a work in progress. 

conkitchen

conkitchen

 

Cardboard M10 head, side draft mani's & dizzy

This part is still under construction as is the rest of the engine. However this was a nice juncture to show progress and direction I'm headed.  Plan to have working valves and springs made of cardboard. Been working on a design which actually has "spring" action for opening and closing the valve.  More on that later. Still need to make the cam, valves & guides, plus the rocker arms.     3/15/18: Added the bump stick, valve guides and oil tube atop.    enjoy all the segments from the beginning to show the evolutionary build. 

conkitchen

conkitchen

 

Cardboard distributor & housing

With all the CA rain and other distractions I have been back sliding on this build. Today I went forward.    Not finished but progressed enough to add an entry. All the parts I have been building thus far are still rough. They will all go through a clean up stage with light sanding and finishing with the X-acto knife etc.   The dist shown is only the outer housing shell. Plan to have the cap, clips, rotor, condenser, and those fine details like on the real deal.     Enjoy. 

conkitchen

conkitchen

 

Cardboard M10 valve cover

At first it was pretty easy to fabricate this part. Once I got to the corners though, the challenge really began. It all came together well. Gonna make an oil filler cap eventually.  Every form and cut is done by hand and measured roughly off of the actual part. Had to use a wooden dowl for the breather tube since I did not have a tube that size and did not want to make one by rolling thin cardboard sheet.    Enjoy the madness of this build in my other entries. More to follow.   

conkitchen

conkitchen

 

Cardboard M10 Oil Pan

It was a lot harder than expected to form the complex curves of the pan. I used the real thing to model from and made a single piece template and worked it all into shape.  Next is the head with working valves. 

conkitchen

conkitchen

 

Carboard M10 Flywheel and Engine Stand

Now that the crank is installed and lubed with talcum powder inside the bearings- also made of cardboard, the flywheel was next before I could mount it to the engine stand.  I figure someone may post I need to resurface the wheel or at least torque some bolts in there, Um, Ray. 

conkitchen

conkitchen

 

Cardboard M10 pistons and crankshaft build

While the crank is a custom design to work within the loose design of the block, it does function as a rotating  assembly with the pistons traveling up & down as the connecting rods rock side to side.  It might have some piston slap due to not using piston rings, but building rings is just going too far. 

conkitchen

conkitchen

 

Cardboard M10 front covers

After finishing the block, next came the front covers. Again working with the gaskets, I set out to fabricate the front covers by shaping the cardboard. For the bolt boss' I did however use wooden dowel rods. Making such a small round tube from cardboard just seemed too labor intensive.  Added the water pump and made a modification to the front cover for the crank shaft location after making the connecting rods and pistons. 

conkitchen

conkitchen

 

Cardboard M10 block construction

Working with a head gasket, the basic shape of the block takes it's shape. Then using rolled tubes, the bores are laid in place and reinforced. Next came the crank gully and outer walls with detail being added.  Additional shots of the crank gully and flywheel housing. 

conkitchen

conkitchen