Saturday morning rolls around and I've hardly slept as I'm so excited/apprehensive to see how the car looks.
got the call from the shop to say the would be delivering it to the garage around lunch time however, i went to the shop to collect the boot and secure the bonnet down safely.
looks black in the booth
on the trailer minus the boot! note the horrible over-spray on the inner wheel wells that'll be sorted by the end of the weekend
safe and sound back at home (minus the splitter which will be back this week)
little before and after
Not knowing where to start with putting this back together as i'm waiting for some sticky stuff for the rubbers, and my sound deadening.
The body shop guy had said he thought i had a leak in my fuel tank, so we pulled it and investigated.
the plan was always to give the boot a spruce up before laying the boot boards and covering with new carpet. I know its a job which is never going to be seen however its important to me to
know i've done the best i can on top and underneath every part of the car.
very grubby and surface rusty! had some loose rust inside and was worried it would be un-repairable.
not the biggest of holes but there were more underneath the underseal (which was a pain in the a*** to remove from the tank).
i haven't finished refurbishing the tank yet and will do a separate blog post for this as i think its going to come out nicely,
for now we shot it with some primer just to avoid and flash rust whilst it sits during the week in the garage.
i have covered up the tank plaque (which can be seen in the center of the tank). it was caked in paint and after some delicate paint removal from a bronze badge, We discovered these tanks were made in Maidstone around 5miles from the garage!
From Germany to Ireland to Warwick and now back to its spiritual home! this will be kept on show even after the tank is painted and set in the boot.
Coated the bottom with a tougher U-Pol primer for now and the top of the tank i blew over with some High build as i'm looking for a smoother finish.
Next onto clearing out the rest of the boot space, tidying away the loom and brushing loose dirt and grime off.
i forgot to get a picture before we had done this which i'm quite angry about however i did remember to tank one whilst the paint was setting.
i ground the leftover sealant off from where the tank sits, stripped and rust treated the wheel well (for safety) also this was then given a coat of Zinc primer.
I'm sure the missus wont mind me stealing the pink throw for now
laid down the U-Pol on the boot, took a while to dry as it was cold outside!
whilst it was setting we threw some chrome work on just to see how it would look against the new paint.
Really happy with the combination of this colour and the chrome, i'm going to run all the original chrome and trim as it was. i really like the juxtaposition of the perfect paint against the weathered chrome.
Dropped the tank in and gave it a very light coat with the U-Pol before tucking her back up for another week.
Lots more blog posts to come whilst i put her back together! if anyone would like any thing specific whilst im at this stage let me know and i will document it for you.
Thanks for checking it out!