She’s been painted 3 times on each panel so far.
About this blog
Here you will find your everyday joe building a 2002 which was found after it had been lost. Original owners passed away, and offered the car as collateral to the new owner. The new owner wanted to restore, but ran out of time. A homeless man lived in the car for months. It's truly, a special car.
I will not put it back to the OE example it was the day it rolled off the assembly line, nor will I sprinkle it with eBay wings and chrome stick-on engine vents. Nope. This will be a mix of new and old, from a guy who wears a necktie during the week and gets his hands dirty every chance he can.
The name choice (by my daughter) for the car is "Francesca".
And so it begins!
Entries in this blog
The work continues. It’s been a blast so far. I have had to continually remind myself that this is a long project. It’s easy to become disenchanted by rust and things I feel are beyond my scope. However, reading and learning are key. I’m not giving up on this little car.
Mocking up. Looks like I'll need a spacer in the front. Just tapping the strut. Rear is money. Time to get flares!
Then - I need to continue the mechanical. I need to take the motor drop path. This car will take forever, but I dig that. I know it will be a stunner when it's done.
Took front and rear glass out today. Felt good to be working on the old beast again.
Seals are shot - glass is still ok. Removed it without cracking. We will see if I reuse them once cleaned up.
Holes. Not a fan. This beast is rusty under the front fenders. In fact, I can see the inside from the outside. Nothing some new welding can't fix - but bummer.
The striker had a washer in it to make it fit. Removed that and adjusted the door - it shuts! So happy!
Well I bought a custom made set of wheels from Paul Ehrlich in NC. He provided me with most excellent customer service and an amazing set of BBS RS widened and redrilled to 4x100. Now I will begin the whole turbo flare mock-up and work on finishing some other body issues.
Also - I was just given a motorcycle stand - looks like a motor drop is in my future. 😊
Truly religious rear end - so holy.
Also so added a rheostat to the heater in the garage for the winter. It's like having a nice warm breeze.
It just falls apart in your hands! Sucked it off. Turner made a nice reflective heat shield for my e30, wonder if there is such a thing for the e10.
In New England hot oil undercoating was huge back when cars rusted out completely after 4-5 years. This BMW was no exception. The previous owner did it yearly by the looks of the build up. I power washed most of it off with just water. Now I can see where the nuts and bolts are! I'll use grease off for the rest.
Sure it's super annoying to have go clean it off being a salt land car - but this car would not be in the condition it's in if the PO didn't do this! Bravo!
Well, after removing all the tar/noise dreading material I found many holes. It was a pain getting that stuff out - but not overly hard. The driver side was easier than the passenger side - but that may be because I'm left handed. Lol.
I will be getting these patched up, as I am no welder. I thought about buying a welder and learning (may still) but I'd rather learn on a different type of metal and project - maybe tractor parts.
Had some help today. Figured it was time to remove the pitted and dented chrome. Also removed all the door molding.
Nothing but replacement parts for now. However, these are needed. :-). As always - thanks Blunt.
I was going to go the dry ice method, but I figured I'd grab a tool and go at it with the anger of the guy who stole my high school girlfriend.
Needless to say - we kicked some huge ass.
Then I tore into the rear drivers shock tower - it was not too bad. I am pretty stoked. We will be able to weld that up no problem.
Well had the click of unknown - swapped out the battery cables (used universal while my OEM positive is on order (can't find negative) and solved the issue. Started just fine.
Then I ended up driving it - for the first time ever. Hehehe
The brake was stuck again, this time I tore it all down. Nice to have a "roller" again.
Dead things under the backseat!
After a new battery, blowing out the lines and adding a plastic gas can, she fired right up. Wow did it smell bad. After a few minutes of running it seemed to smell like a normal car running in your garage! (All the doors were open). Lol.
Great moment for the kids! (And me!)
AAA towed it to my home, and I jumped right into it. The car looked in front the outside, but there was some issues. I began ripping out the smelly interior, fuel tank, changing all the fluid, and obtaining keys from a locksmith (cut from code) as it came without keys.
This car has a pretty cool backstory. Bought new, and adored by the original owners, they ended up having to give it up after about 30 years as collateral...but never were able to pay back cash for rental space, and ultimately they ended use passing away. The business owner that took the car planned on restoring it - but never seemed to have the time. So he stuffed it in a old smelly warehouse were it sat until and became occupied by a homeless man.
I ended up finding it about 6 years prior to actually obtaining it. But I didn't have the money to even make an offer - so there is sat unknown to nearly everyone around.
Here are the first shots once I obtained it, and opened it to the sunlight.