It's been a while since I've posted, but there has been work going on! Over the last two months, I've had some set back due to my purchasing of wrong parts and damaging a few as well. So here's what I've been up to:
I finished up the underside and it's completely coated and I installed the bump stops at the rear and put in the parking brake cables. The rotisserie has been removed and as I mentioned before, it was a real life saver! The car is now sitting in the garage ready for the sub-frames to get bolted to the car.
Ah, the sub-frames. I got all new bolts from W&N which were great, but they came with no sense of what went where so I had to spend some time figuring that out. It wasn't too big of a deal, but did take a little bit of time to sort all that out, and compare to what I had saved from the dismantle. I had all of my bushing and such from Blunttech and Steve was a life-saver with sorting a few of my problems out, especially when it came to the rear axle bushing and the steering.
Without getting into too much detail, I had purchased the wrong rear bushing and ended up having some issues getting them installed. I called Blunt and they got me exactly what I needed quickly. To get around the difficulty of installation, I go out and buy myself a press thinking I'll just pop them in there using a bit of grease and soap to help with the process. And as you can see in the pictures, applied a little too much pressure and put a slight buckle in the trailing arm. I ended up bring it to my mechanic who was able to get it straightened out and installed the bushings with no problem. I know this is going against what the forum was recommending, however, there was no cracking or crinkling in the metal and according to the BMW 2002 mechanic playbook, that was all within tolerances. Since I am not going to be racing this car, I should be all set.
The bearings have been replaced on the front wheels and I am about to do the rears with a Blunt kit. My IE sway, springs and shocks are all ready to go and I just need to start bolting everything together. I plan on changing the differential fluid and getting everything back together and on the car in the next couple of weeks.
Now for something new. While randomly going through Craigslist, I came across a pair of 325i sport seats that are in fair condition. I believe I'll need to get an adapter kit (or something) for the car, but these came at a very fair prices and with a little love and conditioning, they should come back nicely. The future plans for these will be to get them re-covered, but they will do for the shorter term.
And lastly, this was a bit spur of the moment, but I purchased a 1987 325is that has seen better days. I was sitting outside in the Oklahoma sun for six years and while the paint almost non-existent, the dash has a few cracks, and the driver seat is dried and cracked to hell, this little car has some promise. It's surprisingly original, no rot and just that little surface rust in the pictures. It turns over freely and has no leaks, which I find amazing. I must be crazy, but I must have some sort of soft spot for beat up and rusty old cars. The plans for this one are TBD, but I'll likely sit on it until the 2002 is up and running.
That's it for now. With the holiday's fast approaching and winter coming in the northeast, I suspect repair work might slow down a bit here. I'll be posting up more as I make progress.