I spent the last few work sessions clearing out the engine bay and ancillary areas to try to get Fred ready to ship out for bare metal respray and rust repair. In a day and a half I completed removing the following:
-Fuel line from bay to tank
-Fuel pump (original under car location)
-Brake booster and Master Cylinder
-Windshield wiper motor and assembly (PIA!)
-Hood locking bar
-Battery plastic piece (so dumb!)
-Front brake lines (hard lines crumbled at fender connection)
-Rear brake lines (to center of car)
The biggest PIA was the windshield motor assembly. I discovered it's easier to do while standing inside the engine bay so you can have your hands on both sides to fiddle with it. The key for me was getting the passenger side spindle down first. Mind you, it would have been much easier if I had the heater fan out, but I don't.
The rear brake lines seem to have been replaced in the past. There's an SAE to metric connector under the car, so they must've rotted some time in the past. The front brake lines basically crumbled as soon as I put a wrench to them where they connect to the soft lines inside the fender. No big deal as these were getting replaced anyway.
The good news is the engine bay is pretty much rust free. It needs cleaning to be sure, but no rust evident. I stopped by my body guy and went over all my pix with him, and he's unfazed and ready to go. Hopefully the car will be out of my garage next week.
My neighbor was kind enough (well, $100 kind enough) to weld me up a front end chassis dolly after I bought some 6" wheels at HD. I put 4 on just in case. Car rolls around nicely, and frees up the subframe for me to work on while the car's in paint. Here it is being test fitted with some screw drivers.
Here we go!